Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

HOW Does Onshape decide which tab to open when opening a document workspace, version or revision?

romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
My goodness - this is baffling.

I often open Onshape Documents (who doesn't these days?) to a workspace I was recently working in, or a Version or Revision from the past to compare values / changes.

Some of the documents always open to an assembly tab that I haven't worked on or (wanted to view) for months. It is NOT set as the thumbnail image for the document.

Why does it do this? Is there something I can do to change it (like: open to the Thumbnail tab, or last edited tab, or last-viewed tab (if it's a Revision or Version) )?

Thanks!

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited March 2020
    @lougallo  etc - is there a way to control (or understand) which tab opens when a Document is opened? Thanks!
  • nat_mishkinnat_mishkin Member Posts: 3
    Hi @romeograham ,

The expected behavior is that when you open a document that you previously have opened, it should open to the workspace and tab you had open at the time you previously left the document. This information is per-user--i.e., what tab a user sees when reopening depends on what tab was open by _that user_ when s/he left the document.

Note that there are multiple ways you can "open a document" in that the URL you use or place you click in the UI might or might not imply specific workspace or version and tab. E.g., you might open a document, then select a particular version, and then bookmark the browser URL that's showing at that time. Going to that bookmark will take you to that particular version and tab, regardless of whether you were in that version and tab when you previously left the document.

Can you describe a precise series of steps where the result is not what you expect/want?

Nat
    Generally I open documents from the Documents page. So I navigate through the folders, find the Document I want, and open it by double-clicking (or right-click > open in new Tab) to open the active workspace. My issue is that the Workspace (even if I've done work in a Part Studio or Assembly) will open to a Part Studio (or assembly) that I haven't worked on in a very long time.

At least, that's my perception.

As I try to make it happen right now, it seems to be consistently opening to the last active Part Studio - so no complaint today.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited March 2020
    AFAIK, it works exactly like @nat_mishkin said.

But, if you send a link to someone, that will link to the tab/branch/version that you copied from.

If you want a generic "default tab" then you can delete a portion of the URL you copied. this came up in another thread, I don't remember where that is at the moment. But I am aware there is plenty of control available to you in that respect.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited March 2020
    @john_mcclary
    Url with linked sections: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/w/a855e4161c814f2e9ab3698a/e/daec16bcbf3755b1bc852153
                                                                [ ^^^ Document Id ^^^  ]   [ ^^^ Workspace Id ^^^ ]   [  ^^^ Element Id ^^^  ]

If you just want a specific workspace or version, you can delete past the /e/ (including the /e/)
    If you just want the document, you can delete anything past the /w/ or /v/ (including the /w/ or /v/)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @lougallo
    I just had this happen again: I opened a Document, and it opened to a tab I haven't worked on in months. (Issue #232781). I'll link to this discussion on my Activities page. 

Thanks 
  • ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem frequently