Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate connectors

derek_westwoodderek_westwood Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Since restarting with Onshape a few months ago I have, with the help of several forum contributors, achieved a reasonable amount of progress. There is however one thing (Ha!) which puzzles me, the mate connectors.
When selecting a mate connector it seems to be totally random which way it is going to point and it is not until a lot of mouse whirling, and zooming in and out, with more mouse whirling, that the correct orientation is seemingly randomly achieved. Is there a process or series of steps for achieving the correct orientation logically?
Thanks in anticipation, Derek

Comments

• Options
    kaiser_meerkaiser_meer Member Posts: 3
    the orientation cube at the top right should slowly put you right where you want or right click the cube and drag. If that's what you are getting at. Sounds simply but I know.....less than you.I am working on the assemblies right now i have a lot of question
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    A mate should snap to its closest solvable position.

The closer you have aligned the parts to their finial position. The less random it will appear.

You may want to consider pressing the "solve" button a little more often while mating. Onshape does not solve until you ask  it, and can make things appear in odd places until you accept the mate.

Don't forget the A and Q keys are your friends when mating. These will flip and rotate the mates respectively. That lets you keep your eye on the model while you flip and rotate for the correct position. The more you can focus onto your parts rather than the CAD user interface, the less likely it is you lose your bearings and forget what you were just looking at.

In the end, there are only 8 possible ways two mate connectors attach, so even if it was the wrong way, you can  fix it quickly with the flip and rotate keys.

Here I didn't bother to reposition the grey assembly or worry about how it originally snapped into position. I just relied solely on the flip and rotate options until it was in the correct place, then moved on to the next.

• Options
    peter_lee079peter_lee079 Member Posts: 1 EDU
    This is really helpful - many thanks.