Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move / Copy mesh

paul_lowmanpaul_lowman Member Posts: 4
I have a mesh imported as  a .obj file which has duly appeared in a new part studio. I also have a design of parts in another part studio with which I wish to incorporate the newly imported mesh. I cannot seem to find any way to either move/copy the mesh to the existing part studio or move/copy the design to the new part studio containing the mesh.

In the end, I redrew the design in the new part studio.

Is there any way to achieve this?

In addition, can a mesh be used in an assembly? In a similar way to a sketch?

Cheers

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Meshes are only for use as a reference in modeling - they cannot be used in assemblies. To reference parts from another Part Studio see the Derived feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2020
    I use meshes a lot.

To move a mesh, I usually figure out where the mesh origin should be and draw curves (3d fit spline or other curve). With 2 vectors (curves) you can create a mate connector with proper origin and orientation. Put another mate connector on the origin.

Then it's easy, use transform with 2 mate connectors.

This is the best way to move a mesh around and also tweak it into place.

***I do use my own curve derived from the original fitspline Ilya wrote a while back. If you're interested message me and I'll send you a link to the feature script. It's not much code but I find it useful for this type of operation.

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @billy2 - Can you describe any more about what your featurescript does? I'm curious about what you've learned about working with meshes as I've got a couple of projects where I'm using 3D scan data and would like to explore methods for fitting geometry to my scans (without doing everything manually). 

P.S. - I have also enjoyed your motorcycle projects. Going to go back in read through those posts again. 
  • paul_lowmanpaul_lowman Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Neil - derived is what I was missing ...