Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't thicken a face

wei_xunwei_xun Member Posts: 9
I am unsure why I am unable to thicken the side faces of the mouse. It highlights the point in the back. I think it may have to do with the sharp corner.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what I should do differently?

link to file. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1392ec3fbe4e01fa3557168e/w/3f2b3fb3761f8d05c197a118/e/9c54e6778c2df5de24db2065

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2020
    You are correct. that point is too sharp for some reason.

If you add a small fillet to the front and rear edges then it thickens

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited May 2020
    This has to do with what's called a degenerate point. Under the hood, every surface is 4-sided. For example, if you make a pentagon, it's really a 4-sided surface with some of it trimmed away to make a pentagon. The loft tool doesn't make trimmed surfaces so every loft has 4 sides. The way you created your surface (with profile curves touching at the ends) means that 2 of your 4 sides are actually points. When Onshape (or any NURBS based software) tries to figure out which way is normal to that surface, the calculations get wonkier and wonkier the closer you get to that infinitely small edge. the Thicken operation needs to know which way is normal to the surface to work correctly and not intersect with itself which is tricky to do at a degenerate point. All CAD has precision limits and these little imprecisions become amplified at these points. The fillet gets rid of that point so it works. At least that's how I understand it.

Tip: typically avoid degenerate points where you can, and if you have them, put them in relatively flat areas, like this

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • wei_xunwei_xun Member Posts: 9
    Thank you both for explaining. That makes a lot of sense! Really appreciate the help!