Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Table Block Straight Lines

shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
Are there any recommendations or tricks to keeping straight lines when drawing a custom table block? I'm having a heck of a time trying to keep a straight line when I try to manually move the end to connect to the vertical line to form a box. A sketch trim function or driving sketch dimensions would be nice in drawings.

Thanks

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Holding down Shift will snap to horizontal or vertical if that helps?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Thanks for the reply. I've tried the shift key, but when I try and align the horizontal line with the vertical lines it jumps and remains crooked.

Is there anyway to make dimensions driving in a drawing similar to other CAD systems?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Sketch tools in Onshape drawings are non-existant...

You will need to use 3rd party 2d cad like autocad, draftsight, nanocad etc. To create a nice. dwt then upload it. 
  • shawnrwshawnrw Member Posts: 43 PRO
    John,

Thanks for the reply, I hope you are kidding :-)...

Not trying to be a jerk here, as I hope I'm just missing something because I'm still new, but have to use another CAD system to build something as simple as a table block is kinda shocking...
    @shawnrw - it is usually expected that custom borders would be imported, but you can draw one and keep lines straight and connected using that tool. Best thing to do is to zoom way in, as well as hold Shift while dragging/snapping endpoints. 
    Onshape is still "sorta" new. It remains to be seen of this functionality will ever be available natively in Onshape.

There are many free 2D DWG editors out there, so it isn't too much to ask for us to have separate software for this for now.
    Full 2D editors are a software suite in themselves, For now I'd like to have basic sketch tools added to the hotbar.. I had an IR for this a long time ago, but I can't find it right now...
    Usually a CAD workstation already has a seat of ACAD or equivalent installed anyway. (At least in my experience)

I have hopes that Onshape will one day be the One stop shop for all things that come out of the design / project management office.

They are well on their way to replacing a lot of expensive PDM and Project management tools.
    It is a shame we still need to rely on a 3rd party for 2D, but this can also be integrated through ARES Kudo, but to add editing tools you will need to purchase a license through ARES.

It remains to be seen of this functionality will ever be available natively in Onshape.

Never say never...
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Here is an example using a sketch exported to DXF that can be inserted in drawing used to make template.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3f68ebd478e9e499d7d087c4/w/17513397f240e1d96b7166e8/e/3f0cfe8730a43c215458a444
    The initial sketch can be done using all the functionality of 2D sketching tool before exporting to DXF.
    Insert DXF into blank drawing and add notes and attributes after.
    I don't have import files to work with since this is for new customers that never had templates from previous cad.
    I never said never... I said it remains to be seen if it will ever be... :smile: I still have high hopes it will come eventually. But I haven't heard any talk about it. So as far as I know it is a few years out.

But hey, I've been wrong before. Ball's in your court now :wink: