Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Holes w/ Countersink on curved surfaces

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi folks! I'm still struggling with easy hole creation on curved parts.

Consider the following steps to create a simple "pipe" shape:

1. On the Top plane create a new sketch
2. Sketch two concentric circles
3. Extrude to form a short pipe (20 mm depth)

Now, let's suppose I wish to create a hole through the wall of the pipe (e.g. along the X- or Y-axis), with a counterbore, in the dead centre (vertically / along the z-axis)

Can someone walk me through, step-by-step the following two scenarios:

A) create a hole in the centre of the pipe through one wall with the counterbore on the INSIDE
B) create a hole in the centre of the pipe through one wall with the counterbore on the OUTSIDE

I can achieve the above with offset planes, but I don't like that method because if I ever change the dimension of the original sketch circles, I have to move the offset plane manually.

I asked a similar question on this forum and it was suggested that I uncheck "start at sketch plane", but this hasn't been working for me to get a precise depth of counterbore.

Below is an example of what I'm looking for, in case I didn't do a good job describing what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance for the advice! Always learning....

Best Answer

Answers