Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Return within drawing table cell ?

steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
When in the drawing tab, how do I do a carriage return within a table cell ? 

I’m using Safari on a MacBook Pro to access Onshape desktop

Thanks for any help !

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You can't do it directly in the table, you will have to open a text editor (Notepad on windows) and copy/paste

Answers

Answer ✓
    You can't do it directly in the table, you will have to open a text editor (Notepad on windows) and copy/paste
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @john_mcclary

Thanks John
    👍👍👍👍👍

• jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    I am joining this conversation late but I have found that if you type your text first, you can then go back to the place you want the new line and type <ALT><ENTER> (or <CTRL><ENTER> or <SHIFT><ENTER>) it will add the return character to the text.   If you type any of these combinations as you type, it will just jump to a new cell in the table.
    That does not work for me @jmccormick

• jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2021
    Ahh...  Looking at it further, you have to force some text wrapping in the cell before this will work.  I found that I needed at least 3 lines that were text wrapped before I could add the carriage return.  It might be easier to just paste the text into the cell like @john_mcclarypreviously suggested.

If you have the opportunity to mess with the cell width, you can force 3 lines then add the carriage return and reset the cell width.

See 
    NeilCooke's comment in:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9996/can-i-have-multi-line-text-in-a-drawing-table-cell
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @john_mcclary
    Eventually these "hacks" need to be addressed and alt+enter should add a new line, just like excel
    Yeah - I’d like that !