Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I edit the dimensions of a sketch?

niamh_langan328niamh_langan328 Member Posts: 2
Whenever I sketch an object the dimensions do not appear and when I try to edit them with the dimension tool they also don’t appear; it only selects the sketch and then deselected it. I am using the Onshape app on an iPad.  

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    you will need to edit the sketch, if you want to modify dimensions.

you should be able to show dimensions (they will disappear once you lose focus)

There is no way to toggle "show all dimensions" like you can in SW

if you are trying to make a 2D drawing, then you should import your sketch into a drawing tab and dimension in there.
  • Options
    byron_brummerbyron_brummer Member Posts: 6
    Same boat here, can't edit dimensions.  Yes, I'm in the sketch.

1. Create rectangle
    2. Click Dimension tool
    3. Select side
    4. Enter value 200mm
    5. Works!
    6. Woops, I wanted 220mm.
    7. Click value again
    8. ....nothing, can't edit it?!  No right-click menu options to edit it either.
    9. Click Dimension tool
    10. Click side
    11. Enter value 220mm
    12. ...220mm shows, but so does the original 200mm...and the side is still 200mm
    13. WTH?
    The only way I can find to change the actual size of the dimension is to change it to a "driven" dimension and drag the shape into a new size by eyeball.

While clearly there's a way to simply enter a new dimension, it's entirely unclear how/where to actual do so?  Intuition would say "just click the value again you want to edit", but that does nothing but select the dimension...it gives no ability to actually edit it to a new value?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    @byron_brummer perhaps try double-clicking?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI