Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't get WebGL to work with FirePro M6100: any tips?

JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
edited June 2020 in Product Feedback
Hey all, I have access to an CAD laptop that has an AMD FirePro M6100 an an intel integraded HD Graphics 4600.  I've tried a lot of things and can't get the WebGL to run using the FirePro, it only uses the Integrated GPU so Onshape's performance is less than it could be.
I've followed all the instructions on /check of course, for both chrome and firefox but neither work. Yes I have updated windows and AMD drivers to no avail.
Anyone else used this graphics card successfully?

Comments

• JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Oops, realized I put this in Product Feedback accidentally. Admins, can you move this to general or as appropriate?
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540
    @Jolls Have you told Windows 10 (assuming windows 10 is what you are using), that your browser(s) should be using the high performance option?

• JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Holy moley. I spent hours on this stupid thing and that simple item helped. Maybe a laptop performance thing.

5X the measured triangles and 15x measured lines improvement.  Thanks!!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    Yea, that's the problem with dual gfx cards. One would think if the lesser card is being slamed with high demand it would switch to the good card. But nope.. That would make sense.. Can't have that in 2020
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @john_mcclary I think it is a Windows thing to fix. My Mac auto-switches just fine. ;-)
    Dooohhhhh
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO
    edited June 2020
    Most people using laptops are using the integrated intel chip for graphics because it doesn't use as much power as the AMD or Nvidea barn burners.

Switch'm on; plug it in & heat it up.

You'll find you'll kill your battery in about 20 minutes and the fan will always be running; at least my dell latitude did that. 

My little mac doesn't have the option; so I have to suffer. I do manage my projects and don't have much on the screen at any one time. I did look at the 13" mac pro and graphics were faster, but 3lbs vs 2lbs, I choose to manage my data vs. carrying that extra 1lb around. It's a choice.

edited June 2020
    Yea, with a laptop there a few performance killers built-in to improve battery life and heat.

On my MSI Stealth for example. it will throttle way down unless it is plugged in. So I always make sure it is always plugged in.
    It will also throttle down the graphics if it gets too hot. So I make sure when I'm playing a game or have large assemblies open, that there is good air flow.
    I haven't found a good/cheap air cooler that was quiet, so I made a custom fit one with quiet noctua fans, this keeps things ice cold and is barely a whisper.

Plugged In:

Unplugged: (seriously throttled... i've seen as low as 0.8ghz idle, and 2ghz or so max)

With Cooler:

Without Cooler:

All in all laptops can still be just as good as a desktop now.

I have a gigantic over detailed model I'm working on (igus logo on every chain link, full of fasteners, bunch of mcmaster-carr threaded components, 100ft long 6 layers tall)
    and I can still benchmark pretty well in Onshape at the same time while taking the temperature readings above.
    The air cooler is enough that the internal fans barely spun-up.

Edit: I was curious how much over detail was in the chain..
    I'm actually surprised how well this laptop handles all of this without breaking a sweat... Without large assembly mode.
    I used to slam on people for designing with a laptop. But this is preforming better than any quattro water-cooled desktop I've every had.