Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cabling, do we really need another featurescript?

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 1,429 PRO
edited June 28 in General
I think so...

link to the more details

I had to cable up a rack of equipment at work and wasn't looking forward to defining the curves & sweeps.

This is a great application for featurescript and after reviewing several existing apps I decided to extend these concepts. I wanted it to be extremely easy & fast because personally I don't like doing cables & cable management. I'm not trying to accomplish a fully defined cable with pinouts & netlist; I'll leave that for someone else. I just want to declare what needs hooking up and show a basic path.

This rack of equipment is Cory Henderson's and I grabbed it from the public domain, thank you Cory. I cabled it up in about 30 minutes.

I have no idea what this thing does but it looks awesome and I just wanted to throw some cables down.

How many cables can you pass through a slot? All cables have a start, end and intermediate points. Below are 6 cables all starting/ending from a block.

Of course, we need to make changes without blowing up the model. Below we change the position of the slot and all the cables update:

This featurescript isn't ready for public consumption yet, but if your working on cabling and would to try this feature, I'd be happy to share it with you. Just private message me your account email and I'll share this document with you.

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 1,429 PRO

Version 2

I've been working on a better looking sweep and trying to make it look more like a cable vs. a noodle. I've been tensing the control points which straightens out the long sections of a cable. This makes routing long lengths of cable look more realistic.

Basic sweep of cable through a slot:

Added a tightening tensor at control point:

Loosening the tensor a bit:

I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case, bend a cable:

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member Posts: 172 PRO
    @billy2
    I also had the problem with the control points.
    I got nicer paths by creating multiple segments of splines with a start and end points:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11110/new-featurescript-hose-routing/p1

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 1,429 PRO
    @sebastian_glanzner I'm very familiar with your code and hose routing routine. I'm using a lot of your ideas already.

I did want to thank you for creating a well crafted, beautifully documented and easy to follow script. You did a really good job which inspired me to try and build my own. Anyone thinking of building a cable script, use the example above.

In an assembly, I'm trying to pick, pick & pick and make a cable. I don't want to spend a lot of time on it; at least this is my goal.

edited July 2
    Version 3

I've been using Neil Cooke's approach to sweeping a cable which is basically a start, end & intermediate points. But I departed from a standard sweep and added tensors at the intermediate points and then dropped magnitude. Abandoning the start & end magnitude handle, it just didn't look right. I can start & end better.

It's got one adjustment to loosen/tighten the cable.

link to the cable controls