Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Chamfers different on identical edges

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Using Onshape
I have two parallel plates that I modeled by mirroring one across a plane. I applied a two-distance chamfer to identical edges on the two plates but the chamfers came out different.

The shallow end of one chamfer is the deep end of the other chamfer. It's as if distance 1 of one edge was distance 2 of the other edge. I can make the chamfers the same by doing them separately, but that adds a lot of busy work in the course of a model.
Just wondering if there's a reason the chamfer distances can't be consistent, at least when the parts are identical and literally mirror images of each other? Thanks :)
Tagged:

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not mirror after the chamfer? Regardless of the CAD software I've used, it's always seemed arbitrary which side of a chamfer is treated as side1 vs side2. SW lets you flip them on an edge by edge basis. I don't believe OS has that option.
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Because a mirror leaves me with the original problem---of taking many extra steps over the course of a model to get consistent chamfers. Seems unnecessary is all. Sounds like other CAD tools have sloppy chamfers too, but two wrongs don't make a right, even if they persist and persist and persist :/
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO