Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create the Axle for my F1 Toy Car?

gurkadam_grewalgurkadam_grewal Member Posts: 10

I need some support on how to do the Axle of my F1 Toy Car, I was thinking of some ways on how to overcome it but still couldn't find the solution.
The Radius of the holes is 6mm as shown Above. 

If anyone could give some support, I would appreciate it!!! 
And send some drawings and models to make it easier 😁

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read the Forum Post Checklist. Following those guidelines will make it much easier to get your questions answered. But for now, I don't understand what the problem is. Looks like you just need to extrude a 6mm dia cylinder to make your axel. What exactly is the issue?
  • Options
    @mahir The 6mm hole is already extruded, but I just need support on the Axel part of the Toy Car for the model to let it move around.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Make another extrude and select your inner circle of your wheel sketch. Make sure you select 'new' on the top. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @john_mcclary Thx, but now I just need to create the part 'Axle', so it allows the F1 Car to move, but I'm still not sure on how to make it though. Don't forget this is gonna be made on CAD so I need to find a way for the Car to actually move when the product is done. :)

Model URL: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cd0dcf4fa3aa8939e925d7d9/w/dde0fc38f70bd48ba9cafd7a/e/1e89ff1e1a43fbe3fbdd5da5
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You will need to make your document public for us to see it.

When you click extrude, the top says
    'New' 'add' 'remove' 'intersect'

You will need to select the area in the small cicle and double check that 'new' is selected. That will output the result to a new part.

Onshape loves to WRONGLY assume it knows what you want for a boolean condition. It is F@#$ing annoying and I hate how it switches modes to 'add' after your first input. Even if you pre-select a mode at the beginning of the command.
  • Options

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @john_mcclary Thx u so much man!!, Much appreciated. So when the model is gonna be printed out into CAD, would it be able to move the car in real life? 

And could you also forward me that as well? 
  • Options
    Well you should add some clearance to the hole if you're going to 3D print. Also a hole at the ends of the axle for a rivet or screw to contain the wheel.

Is your plan to print it out 100% as shown in the assembly with the wheels in place? Or were you going to insert a metal rod into the hole as an axle and assembly afterwards?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The whole model is going to be printed as shown in the assembly with the wheels in place as well.
    The thing is that I want the Toy Car to move as well, when 3D printed

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @john_mcclary You could use the loft on the axle as where the hole intersects with the body but reducing it to (5.5mm or less) and the wheel will be stuck onto the axle so it won't be a problem right? 
  • Options
    Sure, make the axle shaped like a bowtie or something.

I'm not familiar enough with 3d printing to say it will roll good enough though. 
  • Options
    Ok, I'll get my axle piece sorted out, but if the model doesn't go as planned. I'll 3D print where the car can't move. :)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @john_mcclary Could you send the copy of the Formula 1 Car as you did it above?

So it doesn't have to be a pain for me to do it 
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @gurkadam_grewal - depending on the printer, filament, and resolution you are using, you might want a clearance of 0.15 mm or so for features that you want to be movable after printing.  That's not a guaranteed value but might give you a place to start.  Maker's Muse had a clearance testing model that you may want to use to see the effect of different clearances.  He describes it in this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnJBpCWf9Mc