Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Chrome blocking stl downloads from Release>Export dialog

romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
edited July 2020 in Data management
Chrome has started blocking the direct download of .stl files from the release candidate page:

There is no way (that I could find) to "allow" this type of download in Chrome.

WORKAROUND: I was able to download that same stl from my Gmail when I used the "email a link" option in the Export dialog instead of the "download" option.

[UPDATE]: The download from Gmail did NOT work .... after it downloaded the stl, it decided that it was unsafe and blocked it...although one did seem to make it through.
[UPDATE 2]: Another workaround seems to be to select "save to Google Drive" option - then pick a synchronized folder...this way it ends up on my desktop machine, but is synced by Google Drive File Stream, instead of Chrome.

@lougallo
@NeilCooke
@TimRice

It seems to be triggered by something in the way that Onshape initiates the download from that export dialog - are you guys seeing this problem with any other users?
I'm using up-to-date Chrome 84.xx:
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)

On windows 10.

Comments

• chad_clancychad_clancy Member Posts: 6
    I do not have the option to email a link (I'm using the free version of OnShape so I don't know if that is it).  I can only download.  There are three different download options but they all result in the same error. 

I thought I would try opening up the file in Internet Explorer but I can't even get to the sign-in screen for OnShape.  Do I have to disable some security settings in IE?

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited July 2020
    We are aware of this - there are 2 workarounds until it is fixed

- click on the downloads option under the Chrome 3 dot menu, top-right (or the show all button on the right of the downloads bar) and select keep file
    - use firefox

Not ideal I know, but it's not clear yet what caused this - thank you for your patience!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Alan_MagniAlan_Magni Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Having the same issue, except with DXF files.  Firefox was a suitable work-around for me
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited July 2020
    So Chrome is blocking downloads from GrabCAD and Thingiverse as well. We are trying to contact Google for comment.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    Thanks for the extra instruction on the "keep file" button.

It's not showing down on the downloads bar in the usual place, and I didn't think to go to chrome://downloads 

Thanks guys - and good luck with the fix.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @romeograham Can you try again now?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    This appears to have been a policy change that Google rolled out that was enforced with Chrome 84.

It appears to be working properly now, so it's possible they rolled out another policy change.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited July 2020
    @lougallo Done. Works again! 
    Do you guys know what happened, and what you had to do to fix it? 
    [edit]: I see that @jakeramsley gave an explanation above.

Thanks
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Looks like the blocking of downloads is happening again with Google.  We are doing our best to monitor this and apologize for any inconvenience it may be causing, but as this is a security feature from Google Chrome we will not recommend making any changes that may cause our customers to become vulnerable.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • shaun_singhshaun_singh OS Professional Posts: 22 PRO
    I don't think this issue came up on Vivaldi. Only moved onto it a few weeks ago and already love it compared to Chrome