Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Shift Key Not Suppressing Auto References

timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
Why is holding down the Shift key no longer suppressing the population of auto references with sketch tools?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Works for me
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Also works for me. What's your operating system? What keyboard layout do you use?
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Hmmm. Multiple platforms. Students with both Mac and Windows laptops were having this issue. Windows 10 OS (don't know the OS of the Macs). I too had the issue on my W10 desktop yesterday.

Testing now on my W10 laptop, and it seems it is with the corner rectangle sketch tool that the references populate, even with the shift key activated. No references with the shift key and the line tool.
  • Options
    Corner rectangle also working fine - make sure you are holding the shift key before you click in the graphics area. What browser are you using? If you are using MS Edge, make sure it is the latest (chromium) version not the old one. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Definitely holding the shift key. Have tried holding the shift key

A. Before selecting rectangle
    B. After selecting rectangle
    C. With mouse cursor completely off Onshape window

Draw the rectangle. Select show constraints. Totally auto populated with references.

Using Chrome.

Note: Whatever process I follow with anything other than polygons, the shift key (no references) works as expected. Same for all my students.

For all my users, I have them remove all the default toolbars and rebuild them to learn this process and get the toolbars as I like them for what I'm trying to teach. Is there something with adding the polygon tools manually after removing them, that breaks them from the shift key tool? It seems there must be something we've done universally to somehow disconnect the shift key from polygons.
  • Options
    Sounds like you want the rectangle to create 4 lines with no relations? To do that draw 4 lines. A polygon is a shortcut for creating a polygon not a set of lines. 
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    edited September 2020
    The shift key suppresses automatically making constraints/snapping between the newly created sketch entities and existing ones. If you are drawing a rectangle, it will automatically create constraints even when the shift key is held to ensure the rectangle maintains its rectangular shape.

Left side shows not holding shift, right side shows holding shift:

What are you currently trying to draw? Perhaps there is a different/better approach.

Edit: oops, I didn't see Neil's post! sorry for the double answer
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    I would also discourage editing the toolbars because it could possibly make the UX different for each student. 
  • Options
    Bottom line: The shift key does not suppress the auto references for polygons?
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    The shift key suppresses external references (as shown in @alnis_smidchens post above) but does NOT suppress the internal references (between the 4 lines and 8 vertices) required to make sure the collection of lines behaves like a polygon, and not just a collection of lines.
  • Options
    Great to have the clarification. Thank you.