Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I see the names of the parts in an assembly?

I create parts and give them names. After importing them in an assembly, I don't see the names of the parts

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    What do you see?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    martijn_grunwaldmartijn_grunwald Member Posts: 5
    NeilCooke said:
    What do you see?
    I se just "part 1", instead of the name I gave it. Or do I have to create a version first, and why? 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    A Part Studio can contain multiple parts - you have to rename the part in the Parts List, not the name of the Part Studio.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    You can use the BOM on the right side of the screen, choose Name from the drop down list

You can also change the name here as well.

• Options
    martijn_grunwaldmartijn_grunwald Member Posts: 5
    The Bom list is empty
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @martijn_grunwald - Now try clicking the "Add column" button at the top of the BOM list and adding the column for Name. 

It looks like the BOM is correctly showing the quantities of the parts, but it appears empty because the parts don't have descriptions or Part numbers. If the parts have names, they'll show up when you add the Name column.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    It isn't empty, it is showing the part number and description of 7 unique parts. You have yet to fill in any information into those properties so they are still blank. What you are seeing are the default 4 columns 'item no' 'qty' 'part number' 'description'.  This will need to be changed on every assembly you want to view a BOM with