Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New User Dimensioning Problem

brad_strassburger146brad_strassburger146 Member Posts: 5
edited October 2020 in Community Support
I am new to onshape (and cad in general) so I apologize if this is a really stupid question. I am trying to add dimension to a sketch that will cut out a section of my shape, but whenever I put the dimension in, it turns red and becomes unusable. I assume this is a warning of some type but I do not know what it means or how to fix it. Can anyone please help.

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    It's because you have constraints to a vertex, the origin and a dimension which all conflict - choose one to delete

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Your sketch becomes over-constrained when you have it fully defined and attempt to add another driving dimension.  See the Learning Center and help on these topics.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Can you link your document so we can take a look? 

It is likely a constraint that you aren't aware of 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    It's because you have constraints to a vertex, the origin and a dimension which all conflict - choose one to delete

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brad_strassburger146brad_strassburger146 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much. Such a simple solution. Sorry for the simple problem.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No apologies, That's what this forum is for. Sketch constraints are a confusing concept for most people when starting out.

But like Bruce said, the learning center is full of useful lessons and quizzes.

It is highly recommended you go through some of the self paced courses. Until then, we will always be here to help.