Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape, we are here for you!

2»

Comments

• Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The original white and blue color scheme had better contrast than the PTC white and green...

Throwing this out there as a possible middle ground. I am by no means a graphic designer, just wanted to put this out there. 

No matter the look going forward, I'll still be using Onshape.

• Options
    mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    Vote-up to see if we can get this one to the top!
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/15092/new-onshape-logo
  • Options
    ryan_mcgoldrickryan_mcgoldrick Member Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Really not a fan of the new logo, or the favicon in the browser, I think the user suggested more solid background would be a much better middle ground with some finessing . cube in a cube is hardly recognizable and not sure what it is symbolic of other than onshape belonging to PTC, which to users has no real affinity/meaning.

Also seems like a half baked rebrand as much of the UI across forums and login screen still have blue so now we have this really delightful blue/green color scheme. really really hope this gets a rethink and they listen to their user base or even engage the community with selection options.
    its just a shocker for a 2020 logo rebrand I think it removes the clean polished modern look, now if I were to show a colleague or fellow designer the program I think the first impression would be a bit off putting with the color scheme and logo. feels old and outdated. Sorry for the harsh opinion (I realize it is just that) however something I have to look at all day every day so I do care about it.
  • Options
    eirik_r_guttulsrudeirik_r_guttulsrud Member Posts: 23 PRO
    I feel graphic design was never PTC's strong suit (coming from Creo, before converting to Onshape)

The new logo is a bit too complex. Lose one of the cubes, or make a green play on the original Onshape logo. The current seems a bit like a logistics company, with an environmental profile. But in the end, what I really need from Onshape is great performance and functionality, and I hope PTC will speed that along. The logo really isn't that important to me, EVEN as a designer :D

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good @sebastian_glanzner
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Still hoping PTC will drop the, um, health-supplement green, the lifeless hexagons, and the sterile gray font, and bring back the vibrant blue, the inviting circle it colored, and the affirmative bold font that once graced it :disappointed:
  • Options
    MasonUMasonU Member Posts: 3
    Just found this discussion and thought I would republish my thoughts that were originally posted in the "Improvements to Onshape" topic:

I have no doubt that PTC has the resources and ability to further elevate the Onshape mission but it seems the logo change could be counter productive to this message. PTC is vocal about not disrupting the physicality of Onshape which signals that they get it and understand its uniqueness. The hurdle I am having a hard time getting over is changing a logo from something that stood for the future of CAD into something that is in line with what I view as the old way of doing CAD. Onshape was different, but now it's the same? The resulting takeaway is confusing and contradictory. The homogeneity of the new PTC mark feels to rewind progress. Onshape's best marketing tool is its community word of mouth. Why would you want to make that community confused about the future when the product has so much growth potential to go still?

Is PTC trying to express that Onshape works well with its other products? But isn't a core value of Onshape that you do not need to use Creo, Windchill, or anything else 99% of the time?

I professionally use a PTC product on a daily basis and have zero association with the corporate PTC logo. If shown a lineup of logos and asked to pick out the PTC one I would be shooting in the dark. For me Onshape, and subsequently its logo, grew to stand for a welcomed fresh breath of air, a one stop shop... the future of CAD! I do acknowledge that my unique experiences do not mean that this is a common sentiment with everyone... That is where doing a bit of research comes in.

Did PTC work with branding professionals on this transition? Did PTC do its research by interviewing any current, new, and potential Onshape users? The visual change of a logo may seem trivial but they often have much larger implications beyond personal preference for one over the other. Search "Tropicana brand fail" to see how the company lost tens-of-millions of dollars in sales in just two months along with lasting market share to competitors. This is certainly not the same situation or at the same scale as Onshape still has a lot of upward growth to establish. But it serves as food for thought and a textbook example of the importance of understanding your audience.

Change can be good but it should be strategic and transitioned over time after setting a foundation of trust and value. Companies need to understand that a brand is not just a logo... a brand is predominantly defined by how your customers and customers-to-be feel about you. The logo is one element that should be in line with with your core message.

For what it is worth I am not going anywhere and will continue to use the Onshape service because I see the greater possibilities. I was drawn to Onshape for its accessibility, community, available resources, and its distinction in usability from all of the other dinosaur CAD packages from which I have spent countless hours of my life bending and fighting. Who knows, maybe the PTC familiarity will give potential users who are on the fence the nudge they need to make the leap. Rebranding is a surprisingly tough decision to navigate and should be treated with care. I remain hopeful that PTC is able to get Onshape into the hands of more people and companies. I am just scratching my head a little about how they plan to go about it and what its impact will be on existing customers.