Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

San Diego User Group Tomorrow Dec 2nd 5pm pst

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO

Dec 2nd 5pm to 6pm pst

We'll be zooming this meeting live. Come join us any way you can!

On Dec 2nd click to register

Topics:

• In-context the mystery why should we care? with Bill Campbell
  • Project Structures in Onshape with Bradley Sauln

In-context:

meeting notes

In-context, why don't we embrace this design pattern? In this meeting we'll discuss the history of parametric feature based modelling discovering the meaning of "designing in an assembly". When did it become in-context and why is it so difficult to use? Can we get along without it?

• History link
  • We'll build a robotic cable
  • This can only be done in an assembly
  • I'll be designing a cable in an assembly
  • This is a simple design pattern using in-context

Project Structure:

When should you begin to think about your project structure? When there's 2 of you. Bradley will share a methods for many engineers to collaborate on a project saving time and making better products.

• Examples of Project Structure/Organization
  • Strategies for organizing items for reuse
  • Tip for easier searchability of parts
  • Thoughts on Documents/Folders
  • The implications of Onshape's new 'Where Used'

Presenters:

• Bill Campbell
  • Bradley Saulins

Time:

• 4:45pm the social time, questions & answers, meet other users
  • 5pm start presentations
  • 6pm log off

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    What a great session last night.  Thanks to all, especially @billy2 & @bradley_sauln for such powerful information; it was like 'drinking from a firehose'!  

@billy2
    Brad mentioned us getting access to his slides and/or links. Do you have that or how could we get? We are current developing organization methods and there were a ton of good ideas presented that I need time to understand.

Thanks again!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Great job @billy2 & @bradley_sauln! I would love to see the links to your Epson bot and mountain bike to the extent sharing is possible. Thank you!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2020
    thanks for coming guys.

link to meeting notes
    https://rustyshed.com/?quill=5fc3de6afa3a346b081ba445

Bradley's link is located at the bottom

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @billy2 - neither of those links seem to work? Just get Loading....
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited December 2020
    Hit refresh in your browser. Let me know if it works.

It's a async problem. The page is rendering before the socket is established. Could be your location and the time to establish a connection. I may have to re-wire site to render after connection event. It could be a global problem other than USA. I've been chasing this error for a while.

@billy2
    I have been unable to load anything at www.rustyshed.com either.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Works fine for me!

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @billy2

All I got was    Loading ...

edited December 2020
    Went through load sequences and cleaned things up. Noticed that the latest version of socket.io v3 changed transfer package size maximum which ripped a hole in my site. Cleaned that up. I store images in my database vs. referencing them from a file on a hard drive. It's too hard managing all the files on a hard drive and merging them with pages. If you store image data in your database, the page size grows by a lot. Socket.io v3 now has a 1meg cap on package transfer size which makes storing pages with images a silly idea. So I changed it to a larger package size.

Whats irritating is that the socket just dies without any notification and leaves you loading....... 

Should be working now, please let me know. Server is located in San Francisco so timing is different for me since I'm so close. Async programming can be challenging.

I still need to work on loading events and insure socket is connected before rendering page. Not sure wait till page load has anything to do with on socket connect. Your help is appreciated. 

https://rustyshed.com/
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Loading quickly for me (Montreal, Canada) - but I never had a problem:

Still Loading.... in UK 😔
    edited December 2020
    @NeilCooke So the good news is that Safari wouldn't load my page, loading...

I actually like Safari and it's web development tools. I'm mostly familiar with chrome, but wondering if Safari wouldn't be a nice switch.

It's a async error between the socket & page rendering. The console showed a 502 error which means the server wasn't ready. I needed to slow things down. Most web pages have events to wait like onload events but none of these would wait for the socket to connect to the server. Setting up a socket requires some handshaking between my server and your client and the further you are away..... the longer it takes. You want to establish a socket between client & server because there's no packet headers to send or receive reducing the communication load. Also, the server can send the client a packet at any time. It's just a really nice interaction when things get running properly.

I added a socket level to my start sequence:
    index.html --> socket --> site

Now what happens is the basic site renders which is very plan and I request the socket. The socket is established and fires off a connect event to render the site. Then and only then on the site load event do I ask for the page. Sounds like a lot of work but it happens in microseconds; you shouldn't start building the house until the concrete drys.

It was the last leg of the journey that was faster than the 1st step. Anyway the joys of async programming.

Please let me know if it's working and what browser you're using if it doesn't work.

Thanks to all for helping me out.

https://rustyshed.com/?quill=5fc6647789e3de028710ab3d

Thanks for helping me out @romeograham.

it works in Wisconsinn now!  thank you for something to do on a cold winter night
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Working on iPhone Safari in UK 👍
    yay, nothing to it.

thanks for your help