Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Animation fun

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO

I don't have a reason to post, I just thought it looked cool

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    What ??
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Got to be a hamster in it...
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a basketball goal for it to go into. :) Swoosh!
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Show Off!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Lol, that's pretty much what this thread is about. I hope others will post thier cool animations also.

I'm gonna post more here as I find time to come up with more.. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    John, you forgot to tighten the grub screw on those bearings and also missed fitting the keys
    edited December 2020
    John, you forgot to tighten the grub screw on those bearings and also missed fitting the keys
    Pfft, everyone's a critic... lol

There are over 7000 parts in the main assembly, I have to draw the line somewhere :)
    Seriously super impressed with your assemblies and animations
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Way cool, John! What type of machine is it?
    It's part of an ASRS (automated storage and retrieval system)
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Oh, wow. I didn't even machines like that existed. Now I'm curious how they work. What brand is it? Any links to machine manuals, maybe? Sometimes they have them on the web :smiley:

I love how all the parts are clearly machinable. That's an expert level of parts knowledge that I don't have...
    We're not really a brand. We start everything from scratch and the customer is the only one who gets the manuals. 

There are dozens of ways to make an asrs. You can find a lot of example videos on youtube.
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    Asrs.. Sounds in interesting. Thing that sprang to mind was old mechanical car radios with the push buttons or am I way off target? Enjoying the animations! What do you use to capture your gifs? 
  • stephane_fassinstephane_fassin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Here's my small contribution.
    I like the design of this 1960's Gillette Slim Twist Double Edge Razor. I find the handle shape fascinating. Been using it for decades for the three hairs of my beard.  Thought it was a good intermediate challenge to climb the OS learning curve.  Handle and rings first made with Freecad (before OS was available) and imported.  Been searching the web to figure out how the internal mechanism works (never could I have imagined the world of collectors/historians there are on the subject!).  Terminology as per http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/home.html
    Activation is done through the cylindrical mate, selecting the sliding DOF option.
    Getting it to activate properly was done through a lot of trial and errors so certainly not optimized.
    I haven't found a rapid way of making the handle yet. (it was tediously constructed with individual sketches for every level of troughs and grooves)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ca8010a6984012ca3159e806/w/6c052ed55b33adb74e284e4d/e/d264fa007507decf9df21b84

That's cool, I didn't realize those razors opened up like that.
    I love when a constant speed input results in a bunch of different parts moving seemingly at different times and speeds :)