Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch from Sheetmetal Pattern

steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
edited February 2021 in Product Feedback
Generating a sketch from sheetmetal flat pattern.  So I could easily add tabs, flaps etc.

Either using the "project" tool or a one click convert would be nice and useful.

Otherwise it's not apparently possible without putting the pattern into an assembly and then generating a sketch from that.  Which works but kinda clunky and ends up giving many doubled sketch entities.

thanks
~Steve

Comments

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @steve_maietta Don't forget to vote for your own IR!

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @steve_maietta Do you have an example?  You can sketch in the flat today but I just want to make sure the steps in your workflow before I write up an improvement  or suggest a solution.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    @lougallo, My example is a simple box (package design) with the intent of making it from paperboard.  I need "tabs" that get folded under the sides and are glued to seal up the specific edges.  At this point, I have been able to add these as tabs in the original sheet metal part studio.
    I went ahead in the project and was trying to force it on a project that was almost finished. .  It ended up being alot easier to start again and add them in the beginning.  So I do not need this anymore
    BUT - it still seems like a good basic functionality.  One click to turn a sheetmetal pattern into a sketch.  Select the plane, select the origin, boom new sketch disassociated from the orignal pattern.

Thanks for looking at the request LOU!

~Steve

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I still think you might be able to add these into the flat area today but I would need an example.  I will reach out.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @lougallo
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f832c9927ab7e920371aaa66/w/d8333d7d92fedf3d7bf6acb6/e/52b1a5348cc916b24d92b3e9

Heres a simple box.  I could add tabs on the model using a sketch and the tab tool.  But I think it would be useful to be able to have the pattern "exportable" as a sketch.  Somehow to turn the pattern into a sketch    I realized that I approached the project with the wrong sequence originally, but still this ability may be useful.
    I tried adding in the flat area but I believe interference was happening..  something was keeping them from building successfully..

~Steve