Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Captive Nut FS

GeerGuyGeerGuy Member Posts: 5
I'm new to Onshape, so be gentle.

What is the best way to rotate the nut cavity that is generated with the Captive Nut FS?

The nut "flat" is always parallel with the axis, I would like one of the corners to be up.

Comments

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    I'm having trouble picturing a nut "flat" which isn't parallel to its axis.

Could make and/or share a public Onshape document, which shows an example of the geometry you want the feature to produce?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    There are three ways to approach this problem.

1) Use move face to rotate along the axis of the hole 30°
    2) Use a mate connector instead of a sketch point, then edit the mate connector in the captive nut and rotate along Z axis 30°
    3) ask @Evan_Reese nicely to add this function in the featurescript :)

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    hey @kenton_smith I wrote the feature, so I'm happy to answer anything, although, I think John has it right. I'd recommend using a mate connector for that (I personally just rotate it by clicking the button to clock it). If I wanted to add it to the feature itself, I'd probably overhaul the UI so that each point you pick has a whole bunch of individual options, but I find for the amount I use it, just using the mate connector is decent.
    Maybe you're wanting it rotated so it will 3D print better on an FDM machine, in which case, a trick is to use the draft tool to make the top faces 45° or whatever you want for printing overhangs.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl