Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With ballon

jean_didierjean_didier Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
Realy needed to make the all think use full at pro level !
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm @jean_didier

when Google translates back into French, it gets "nécessaire pour rendre le pensent tous la pleine utilisation au niveau pro!"

I don't think that's what you meant? I certainly can't make any sense of it in either language

Could you post what you mean in French, if necessary?
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I read it as:

BOM's really needed to make at all useful at pro level.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I can not live without BOM's with automated property propagation and linked balloons, absolutely essential for me. 
  • Options
    I read it as:

BOM's really needed to make at all useful at pro level.
    This is a fun game! I think you're probably solved it

or perhaps: "really needed to make the whole thing useful" ?
    (if you read the OP with a heavy French accent, which is what I should have tried before giving up, it seems plausible...)

Back on topic, I'll need BoMs too, for sure, but I reckon they have to be at least as powerful (and hopefully more usable) than in SW to be truly worthwhile

(naturally, there's masses of more basic stuff I'd want to see first)
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would need intelligent, sophisticated and controllable BOMs too. And not just in drawings, I would like to add BOMs in 3D view also and of course export png, pdf, xml, xls together with live embed to another website.

I think we need 'How to make Onshape BOMs awesome' -thread; I just haven't gave enough thought for the matter to give a good opening..
    //rami
  • Options
    Absolutely, not only at drawings but in 3d as well.
  • Options
    CaseRydellCaseRydell Member Posts: 2
    @3dcad - Could you explain more about how you might use BOMs outside of drawings?  Should BOMs be their own tabs in a document and then inserted into drawings (and into other types of tabs)?
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @CaseRydell I think BOMs should be their own separate TAB & then have the ability to insert into a drawing.  

In many cases we need to add components into a BOM list that are not part of the drawing.  
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    WTH, Another Tab !!!  If there going to keep adding more tab types then we most certainly will need some sort of tab management first.

• Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited September 2015
    Following @3dcad's suggestion I started https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1561/how-to-make-boms-awesome?new=1

Please checkin there with BOM ideas.  We really want to know.

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    bobminerbobminer Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 50
    @da_vicki - What sort of tab management are you looking for?  Sorting tabs?  Searching for tabs?  Hiding tabs? A table of contents tab? Other ideas? As the number of tabs increases in a typical document, I agree we'll need to make it easier to manage them.  
    Bob Miner - Software Engineer / Dev Leader - Drawings - Onshape, Inc.

• Options
    How about if individual tabs could cascade, so that a main tab in the document might read (say) "Part Studios", and an RMB would reveal a scrolling list of all the Part Studios.
    Tabs in current common use could be "pinned" as in Win8, so they appeared alongside the main tabs, in addition to being available one level deeper as above.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see something very simple and basic That won't require much thought. @andrew_troup has basically defined my needs. Just let me create and name a tab that I can drag and drop other tabs into. Then as Andrew stated let me right click and get a sorted drop-down of the contents to select. Sorted How, well give me an option or at the very least alpha-numerically.

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited September 2015
    @bobminer
    I would like to see only categories in a row at bottom and hover to open vertical list. Categories could be: Part Studios, Assemblies, Imports, Favorites, Latest etc..

Currently I ignore the row in bottom and use only the 'mega-burger' menu next to + -sign
    Additional categories would be drawings and boms.
    //rami