Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
revolve remove command
Best Answer
-
bradley_horner said:... and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.
Here is what @Evan_Reese snd @glen_dewsbury are saying
Your Revolve 1 did not make a part
Your Revolve 1 made a surface
To get a part, you need to change the dashed construction line for the REVOLVE AXIS to a solid line. This will produce an enclosed area (gray) in your sketch, which will allow you to revolve a part instead of a surface
Also - when you do Revolve 2, make sure that Part 1 is selected for the Merge Scope
0
Answers
-
@bradley_horner
can you post a link (with link sharing or public doc options) or a screenshot of the sketch you are using to create the revolve feature? Without this its hard to know where you might have went wrong. My guess is your sketch is not closed- meaning your don't have a shaded region in the sketch you are trying to revolve. Another thought is the area you are trying to remove is not intersecting the coffee cup?0 -
perhaps you're doing a surface revolve? I'm betting your sketch doesn't form a closed area. When it does you'll see a light grey face show up in the sketch that you should be able to select as the input for the revolve instead of the sketch curves.0
-
thanks for the fast replies! here's a link to a simplified version of the coffee cup where I was trying it for the second time and got the same results. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9d1c698217714efdbdaef11f/w/047f7e68f8ab1b228b279f5e/e/c88ab1906d5af8e0f762942c
guess I'm too new to understand some of the terms, but no I don't think I've got a closed area to revolve, the exercise directions said to do the center axis as a construction line and then the profile of the cup off of that. so effectively there is only the top,bottom,side that close on the center construction line. so I'd not think that is a closed area?
0 -
Closed profile and can revolve as solid. What you have is a revolved surface. Only one revolve is required.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/98273f88165ecb9be25a1ff5/w/7ce04cd8b68ca9cb9fbcbbf0/e/740f906ed282d25f52a947ca
0 -
Glen, I see what you're saying, and you're right only one revolve is required. cool, but I was trying to follow the exercise steps, I'm sure the intent was to force one to use the remove option. So it had one first do the revolve of the outside making it a solid and then a second revolve to remove the inside. and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.0
-
bradley_horner said:... and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.
Here is what @Evan_Reese snd @glen_dewsbury are saying
Your Revolve 1 did not make a part
Your Revolve 1 made a surface
To get a part, you need to change the dashed construction line for the REVOLVE AXIS to a solid line. This will produce an enclosed area (gray) in your sketch, which will allow you to revolve a part instead of a surface
Also - when you do Revolve 2, make sure that Part 1 is selected for the Merge Scope
0 -
Try deselecting the middle part0


