Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

revolve remove command

in the self paced classes, there is a coffee cup exercise. I'm trying to use the revolve commend to remove the inside of the cup.  it lets me select the axis to revolve around but I can't seem to get it to let me select the area to revolve.  when doing the revolve with the new option I didn't have the issue, but when I select the remove option ...  Help please.

Best Answer

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    ... and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.

Here is what @Evan_Reese snd @glen_dewsbury are saying

Your Revolve 1 did not make a part

Your Revolve 1 made a surface

To get a part, you need to change the dashed construction line for the REVOLVE AXIS to a solid line. This will produce an enclosed area (gray) in your sketch, which will allow you to revolve a part instead of a surface

Also - when you do Revolve 2, make sure that Part 1 is selected for the Merge Scope

Answers

• Options
    KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @bradley_horner
    can you post a link (with link sharing or public doc options) or a screenshot of the sketch you are using to create the revolve feature? Without this its hard to know where you might have went wrong. My guess is your sketch is not closed- meaning your don't have a shaded region in the sketch you are trying to revolve. Another thought is the area you are trying to remove is not intersecting the coffee cup?
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    perhaps you're doing a surface revolve? I'm betting your sketch doesn't form a closed area. When it does you'll see a light grey face show up in the sketch that you should be able to select as the input for the revolve instead of the sketch curves. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    bradley_hornerbradley_horner Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the fast replies!  here's a link to a simplified version of the coffee cup where I was trying it for the second time and got the same results. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9d1c698217714efdbdaef11f/w/047f7e68f8ab1b228b279f5e/e/c88ab1906d5af8e0f762942c

guess I'm too new to understand some of the terms, but no I don't think I've got a closed area to revolve, the exercise directions said to do the center axis as a construction line and then the profile of the cup off of that.  so effectively there is only the top,bottom,side that close on the center construction line.  so I'd not think that is a closed area? 

• Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Closed profile and can revolve as solid. What you have is a revolved surface. Only one revolve is required.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/98273f88165ecb9be25a1ff5/w/7ce04cd8b68ca9cb9fbcbbf0/e/740f906ed282d25f52a947ca
  • Options
    bradley_hornerbradley_horner Member Posts: 5
    Glen, I see what you're saying, and you're right only one revolve is required.  cool, but I was trying to follow the exercise steps, I'm sure the intent was to force one to use the remove option.  So it had one first do the revolve of the outside making it a solid and then a second revolve to remove the inside.  and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    ... and it is this remove revolve that I can't get to work.

Here is what @Evan_Reese snd @glen_dewsbury are saying

Your Revolve 1 did not make a part

Your Revolve 1 made a surface

To get a part, you need to change the dashed construction line for the REVOLVE AXIS to a solid line. This will produce an enclosed area (gray) in your sketch, which will allow you to revolve a part instead of a surface

Also - when you do Revolve 2, make sure that Part 1 is selected for the Merge Scope

• Options
    002593002593 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    Try deselecting the middle part