Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a helix throughout a shape?

Matias_HOJMatias_HOJ Member Posts: 3
Hi,

So I recently got back to Onshape, and I have been messing around with the Helix function. But I keep running into problems..

I want to be able to make my Helix from one shape to another. See example here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2eae5b4cb4d22a888521b13d/w/3797173ca787aeecbd147251/e/a048472f26adb8dc10d7e055

But I can't seem to choose both faces in the Helix feature.nor do i have the possibility to choose the conical shape in my Helix feature?

What you guys reckon I could do to overcome my challange?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Eric_WongEric_Wong Member Posts: 21 PRO
    The helix just makes a curve on a cylindrical face, it's the sweep that generates the geometry you see in the example you linked. What are you trying to select in your helix feature?
  • Options
    Hi @Eric_WongI'm trying to create a helix from the cylinder to the top of the revolve. But it won't let me select both faces in the Helix feature.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If I understand your goal, here's one way. It's unfortunately not as straightforward as just using the helix feature. Since you can't make a helix on anything but a cylinder or cone, I lofted the helix to the center axis of the part and used split to find the intersection. The composite curve and delete part features are just for general tidiness.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d139c65008d88f93cc5e26a2/w/63e2edce50ac82da874ac67f/e/c821aa7825af7aed7595fb1a
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese, exactly like that! Thank you for taking the time to explain this on an educational level.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Glad to hear it. Now that I think about it, it might be a little bit faster rebuild time by sweeping a line to make the surface instead of lofting, but the principle is the same.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl