Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing files

rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
I successfully imported an ipt file into onshape.  It is only an import file.  There is not any feature history to work with.  It appears that import files can not be modified as there are not any sketches and models features to manipulate or modify.  Disappointing.  Any modifications for this document in a folder in onshape would have to be modified in Inventor and then re-imported.  Let me know if I am in error on this.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Any translation between any CAD system loses the features, mates and drawing associativity. You can use the direct editing tools to make edits or you could just use Inventor. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    Mr. Cooke,

Thanks.  Where are the direct editing tools and how does it work?

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    In the Part Studio you have move face, replace face, modify fillet and delete face. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    @rod_muirhead943
    Here's a learning center course on Direct Editing: https://learn.onshape.com/courses/direct-editing

There are a number of tools in Part Studios like, Move Face, Replace Face, Delete Face, and Modify Fillet that are direct editing tools. They allow you to manipulate imported part geometry without the feature history.
  • rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
    Thanks