Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

copy and paste of sketch parts

jason_martindalejason_martindale Member Posts: 2 EDU
Noobey noob here: anyone know of a way of simply copying and pasting sketch entities in the app?  I can copy a sketch, and add it into a sketch, and then delete the parts that I don't need, but is there a simpler way?  Thank you for reading!

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    One notch above noobey here. Left click on an entity then shift left click on sketch entities until satisfied. Right click to bring up menu. Select Copy sketch entities. Go to the sketch you want to paste entities into and right click to bring up the menu and opt to Paste sketch entities.

You can also group select entities by placing your cursor to the upper or lower left of the intended group, left click and drag the selection rectangle from left to right and then right click to bring up the menu as before. Dragging from left to right will include any entities that are completely enclosed by the selection rectangle. Dragging from right to left will include any sketch entities that are within the selection rectangle as well as any entities that are partially enclosed within the rectangle.

When the entities are pasted into the sketch you can manipulate the accompanying triad. Grab the circle/dot of the triad to move the triad to any place of the newly pasted entities.The circle/dot will snap to entities if desired. Use the square to move the pasted entities to any place of the already existing sketch entities. The circle/dot will snap to entities of the already existing sketch entities if desired.

-Scotty

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,396
    ...then shift left click on sketch entities until satisfied...

No need to hold shift...
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    peter_wallispeter_wallis Member Posts: 4
    new noobey. - I guess "the accompanying triad" is that dot/arrow thing I have seen on occasion?  It doesn't appear when I paste and nothing seems to budge the pasted sketch entities. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Also it seems to make another sketch(!) but conceptually I pasted sketch entities. Is that what is meant to happen?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,515 PRO
    new noobey. - I guess "the accompanying triad" is that dot/arrow thing I have seen on occasion?  It doesn't appear when I paste and nothing seems to budge the pasted sketch entities. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Also it seems to make another sketch(!) but conceptually I pasted sketch entities. Is that what is meant to happen?
    If you just paste without being already in a sketch it will create a new sketch.

Edit the sketch you want to copy from and make sure you are editing the sketch you want to paste the entities in