Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

NON 45 DEGREE MITER IN SHEET METAL VERY DIFFICULT TO CREATE

Brian_GoldsmithBrian_Goldsmith Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited April 2021 in Product Feedback
NON 45 DEGREE MITER IN SHEET METAL VERY DIFFICULT TO CREATE. The best way we could create this type of geometry is using move faces and "tricking" Onshape. It would be better if it was like Solidworks. Please see link for the method we had to achieve what we were shooting for a 1.88 flange and .625 flange. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6f30b4549c5ffcfa470430b0/w/7bd93a18e802f428db33d471/e/6315e9089f695b0d2029c878
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    steven_elliott555steven_elliott555 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @Brian_Goldsmith
    This is a good improvement request and I'm upvoting it.

Our organization deals in sheet metal all day and we are having to find similar end-arounds in order to get miters to behave to a final condition we want.  Sometimes we may wish to make a miter joint with zero angle as shown below (depending on which flange we want to extend @ full length) 

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    This will be addressed when we get this improvement.. Please go here and vote:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9881/sheet-metal-flange-not-along-entire-edge-edit-flange-profile
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    I would create sketches to make a surface body and split across the face that needs the non symmetric mitre. Then convert the surface to sheet metal. I have started using surfaces almost exclusively when creating sheet metal. Onshape seems to understand the design intent much better this way. And really, it's usually much easier even then in SolidWorks. I think the approach of deciding on sheet metal first and then one by one adding all the sheet metal elements is antique. I think the mind set was formed by SolidWorks long ago during a time when possibly there was a more limited amount a computing capabilities or open minds with respect to design approach.  It's easier to mess with a solid or surface to shape the part. Only at the end do you decide what will be used to actually make the part. As I general rule I have made for myself, I use the flange feature only as an after thought if it will create too many problems to go back and add it to the surface model. That being said, I do find Onshape to be mildly fussy with respect to sheet metal. There are often too many times in the span of 15 minutes that it forces you to rethink your approach because it is unable to just let go of what it thinks is right and let you tell it what you know it right.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited April 2021
    try shaped flange
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/602655eff016f183fc184978/v/19fb13a6756bd7dc18c44d58/e/4ba4dfed9e2179c8f9c826ee

you sketch the shape of the flange then it creates the flange as drawn. Similar to how solidworks does it
    you can also select another face as your 'flange shape'

in the example below the yellow is what was sketched, and you can see the result

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I don't understand the question, but is this what you're looking for?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b668c61114daf69f9b465fc7/w/f76a494cf7a3870caea1abbf/e/72d1407311a219efb85763d3
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    we wants to be able to create a flange on part of an edge. Without manually creating move faces and stuff.
    the way he showed the red flange error looks like Onshape 'should' be able to just slide the flange down the edge automatically if there is a collision.