Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

ZOOM JUST BROKE...?

Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
Hey guys,
I am such a big Onshape fan.  But today I saw the first time something seemed to brake.  When editing a part, perspective turns off automatically.  I do not recall that this was ever the case?  Also, zoom is all messes up right now - two issues:
1.  Zoom gets limited at a certain point - this is probably a result of the non-perspective limitation. 
2. When I manage to get another angle to get closer to the part I am editing, the zoom direction changes dynamically and eratically.

What's up?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    It sounds like it's working as expected and perhaps you have not noticed this behaviour before?
    • perspective is not supported in sketch mode
    • zoom cannot see through part faces (unless in perspective) so the closer you zoom, the screen will be filled with one colour
    • zoom (and rotate) are based upon where your cursor is
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hi Neil,
    On your points:
    1. Yes of course on perspective mode and sketches - thanks and conceded !
    2. It's not that - it's that I can't seem to zoom as close as I used to.  If my age is showing and you guys changed absolutely nothing here, we can religate this one to I can't seem to see as close as I used to - but again, something feels wrong - I will inveistage more and try and give more concrete feedback.
    3. I am aware of that, thanks.

Again, zoom is changing direction after rotating the view to a different angle - never seen that in my four-years-using-Onshape-got-badge-today-timeframe...  Any ideas on this one?

Cheers,
    Hendrik

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    There has not been any changes - can you post a video?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi Neil,

1. The zoom issue is in perspective view.  I can't seem to find a rule here exept the more of the model 'behind' the viewpoint, the worse it seems to be.  I have always preferred working in perspective view and it seems different to what I am used to (?) Non-perspective view gives me the expected behaviour where I can zoom in as close as I need to.  The clipping issue is also annoying but I presume that is some OpenGL limitation?

2. The mouse zoom-switching issue: The mouse wheel turns only in the zoom IN direction during recording.  As you can see though, as soon as I rotate closer to the model, the direction flips and we zoom out instead.  Never came across that.

Videos attached.

Using Firefox latest version.

If all of this has always been like this and is the expected behaviour, then apologies for kicking up dust (give it to me straight Neil - do I need to change my pills?). 

Hendrik

PS:
    I had to .zip the file.  MP4 support on your forum platform would be handy (feature request? lol)

• Options
    I don't see the attachment - it seemed to take zip files?
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm
    Never much use perspective mode but thought I'd see what the comment was about.
    Certainly different. Pan for me has always been a 2d function but in perspective mode pan seems to be AROUND the perspective point. The RMB revolve seems the same but scroll in and out seems also to be AROUND the perspective point.
    Certainly not what I'm used to or expecting.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    I believe this is a bug. I have experienced the same perspective issues.

It's hard to reproduce, but the essence is that if you zoom in until you can't zoom in anymore and then rotate to put the camera closer, scrolling to zoom in actually zooms out. Also, the zoom limit itself is not very consistent (occasionally not being present) and often doesn't let you zoom in as close as is needed for smaller details in large assemblies.

Here is a video where I zoom in by scrolling, then rotate, then zoom in by scrolling, then rotate... All of the zoom-outs are happening while scrolling to zoom in. Shift Z does not zoom in further when the zooming is stuck at its closest point or in cases where scrolling to zoom in actually zooms out.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1ca794d945877574cdcfe39d/w/34de9d1514852c0e6db40633/e/eb49e3f41a78cce6e0b5ac51
    https://youtu.be/vUkRZUrB2fk
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Yeah, that's it.  Thanks for the effort @alnis_smidchens

@NeilCooke, which direct upload video formats are supported?

Cheers,
    Hendrik
  • Options
    Regret to inform this is still broken...  very annoying.

• Options
    henry_camachohenry_camacho Member Posts: 4
    I am running into the same issue.  When I need to zoom in I disable perspective by turning it off, then I can zoom in just fine.  I go back to perspective after I am done with the zoom.  This is clearly a bug in OnShape, and I would have thought this would have been fixed.  No I really like the software but I was a heavy fusion 360 user and did not seem to have this issue.