Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Deleting Branch Workspaces

jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
When I am done with a design branch, have saved a version of the branch, and restored the winning branch to the main workspace - Would it be a best practice to delete the branch workspace so it cannot be further propagated?  I understand that a new branch can be started from the saved version if needed.

It seems like a loose end to me to leave all of those obsolete ideas (my current small project has 10 branches so far) with an active workspace.  

This might be a dumb question but now I have asked it... :neutral:

Best Answer

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    it is good practice to 'trim the head' of the branch by deleting the white dot.

it will delete all history of the branch up to the last version. So if you want to keep that history, create a version first then trim the head.

when there is a white dot on the top that means you can edit.
    When it is solid it is read only

here is what it will look like once you delete B1

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    it is good practice to 'trim the head' of the branch by deleting the white dot.

it will delete all history of the branch up to the last version. So if you want to keep that history, create a version first then trim the head.

when there is a white dot on the top that means you can edit.
    When it is solid it is read only

here is what it will look like once you delete B1

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    I do this too pretty much for the sole reason that the branches all jump to the top after an update. If they didn't I would feel less compelled. Note, if you don't have "delete" permissions you won't see the option, which is important to keep in mind if sharing with a team.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    jmccormickjmccormick Member Posts: 40
    Oops, I don't know what I did wrong - or if the software has changed - but, this action deletes the entire branch.  Yes, I hit "Delete" on a few of them and the entire branch went away - not just the workspace.  

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @jmccormick - it deletes to the branch down to the last version that was created on that branch. So, if you want to delete the workspace but not loose anything, just create a new version on that branch, then delete the branch. 
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    If you look close at @john_mcclary screenshot, he deletes "B1", but "V2" sticks around.