Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ruled Surfaces Are Not Treated As Planes When They Should Be

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
Another interesting bug....

When you create a ruled surface which geometrically is obviously a plane, Onshape doesn't recognize it as a plane for purposes of sketching, or as a draft neutral plane. In this public document, the highlighted surfaces are created by the ruled surface feature. You can't select them as planes for anything that needs a plane. You also can't select their edges as something that needs to be a straight edge (e.g. move face rotate axis). The other two surface bodies are created with sweep and extrude. They behave as I would expect. I can sketch on their faces, use them as draft reference planes, and use the edges as an axis. Clearly in this simple case, it's possible to work around this bug, but it seems like there should be a fix for this.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @S1mon - have you reported this in a support ticket? It will get more attention if you do.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    The "give away" is if you select one of the edges created by the ruled surface, the measure tool reports it as a spline. I don't know what underlying technology we are using, but clearly it's not just a simple extrude.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    Yes, I reported this as a bug https://onshape.zendesk.com/hc/requests/262477

I get that if the original edge is an arc at and angle or anything slightly complex it's going to need to use more complex geometry. However, if the original edge is a line, it seems like this should be simple. If the swept surfaces in this example still are recognized as planes, there's no good reason for ruled surface to be so complicated.