Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Filleted corners have strange behavior

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I create a joint as shown, where two separate extrusions meet.  In Inventor, these became one surface.  So when I did a fillet, it was correctly done at the corners.  But in OnShape, the individual extrusions retain their identity and the fillets make horrific artifacts as shown here.  There is no good way to create these as a single extrusion because these surfaces are based on independent extrusions that are supposed to create a single surface.  How do I join surfaces so they act as a single surface for filleting?

Comments

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited November 2021
    It's always a boon for communication if you're able to share a link to a public document with an example of your issue.

If I understand you correctly, and you want your separate extrudes to all be a part of the same part, you can select "Add" instead of "New" within the extrude feature.

Other times, it makes sense to leave them as separate bodies until later in the feature tree. In which case you can use the Boolean tool and select "Union."

Either way, once you've joined them together, they can be filleted as one part. And then if there's a reason you want them broken back up into separate parts, you could use a split or two.

Here's a link to my examples: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/542aa9a42c3e640c69daf1cc/w/f09e8ad0a19f402d44d9ef1c/e/fb0c48eeff12d5e092c1d26f?renderMode=0&uiState=618a69967061fd7390635d4f
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,422
    Please share your doc. The fact they are different colours means they are different parts or surfaces (any reason why you are using surfaces?) and they should be added together either during feature creation (select add in the UI) or by using the boolean feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    All my documents are public, but I'm not sure how to share them on the forum (I have shared them with another OnShape user who has been able to help me, but I give his email address to the share).  I'm still learning how to use all this, and appreciate your patience.

Anyway, I will try the "union" operation because that is what I need to do.  Thank you.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,422
    If it's public, just share the URL
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    All my documents are public, but I'm not sure how to share them on the forum (I have shared them with another OnShape user who has been able to help me, but I give his email address to the share).  I'm still learning how to use all this, and appreciate your patience.

Anyway, I will try the "union" operation because that is what I need to do
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help.  I got it all working.  I am still learning how to move around in the program, and how to share in the forum.  I will try to be better about including examples.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭