Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Custom Feature Mutual Trim

lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 628
edited November 24 in FeatureScript
I hope that surfacing users would appreciate this custom feature

Please give your feedback.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 810 PRO
    Been waiting a long time for this!!  Thank you @lana !

I like how it seems robust in handling partial intersections and extending, etc.  Here is a doc with a couple of common types that I have suggestions/questions about. 

Studio 1 - A) Could Mutual Trim do the enclose when a solid is created?
    Studio 2 - B) Could Mutual Trim give option for saving different selections?  (Like the Split - Delete part work steps where Mutual Split 1 did not give option for this)
    Studio 2 - C) Mutual Trim 2 is another example where saving different options would help (Like choosing one or both of the newly split cylinder faces)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 628
    @bruce_williams
    Thank you for your testing and feedback. 
    Studio 1 - A) Could Mutual Trim do the enclose when a solid is created?
    Totally possible, some of the early testers felt that keeping it as a surface is less surprising. I can make it an explicit option.
    Studio 2 - B Could Mutual Trim give option for saving different selections?  (Like the Split - Delete part work steps where Mutual Split 1 did not give option for this)
     If I understand this correctly you would like a mutual split with extension. That, counterintuitively, is harder for us to implement than what mutual trim does. If you look into Mutual Trim code, you'll see that it is easier to implement for split face.
    Studio 2 - C) Mutual Trim 2 is another example where saving different options would help (Like choosing one or both of the newly split cylinder faces)
    You've found a bug there - thank you :)

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 1,046 PRO
    @lana
    Thanks for making this! I'm excited to try it out.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 593 PRO
    Legit, thanks for sharing!