Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Own Sketch doesn't work with Super Derive

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
edited January 2022 in FeatureScript
Anybody know why the Own Sketch feature doesn't work with Super Derive? with the native Derive feature it pulls out only the selected sketch. With Super Derive it gets them all, which defeats the purpose. @ilya_baran
 I think these are both yours so you might know better than anyone.
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
     Your link to Own Sketch takes us to the enterprise account? That is one I don't know if I ever saw. 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @Evan_Reese
     Your link to Own Sketch takes us to the enterprise account? That is one I don't know if I ever saw. 
    edited to fix that.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    So i wasn't the only one trying to super derive an owned sketch today... LoL
    Well, if I understand it, you're describing a separate issue, which is also something I was running into. A sketch that's derived doesn't seem to be able to be derived again, which could be nice by limiting the number or derive features needed. For example, we have a document with a derive chain that's something like this: Master Studio (skeleton sketches) -> Main Structure Studio -> Individual Part Studio. If I want to derive items from Master Studio and Main Structure into Individual Part Studio I need two derive features, even though all of the references I need from Master Studio are also present in Main Structure Studio via derive.

It seems like there are a number of improvements that can be made in this area (even though I think it's generally a solid workflow).

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The reason the two features don't work together is a bit technical.  Own sketch relies on lastModifyingOperationId to figure out which sketch an entity actually belongs to.  To optimize multiple derived instances, superderive uses a pattern operation (and for query stability it uses it even if only one instance is derived) so the last modifying operation id turns out to be the pattern, not the sketch, and the pattern creates all of the sketches, which is why they all get "owned".  I don't see a clean way to fix it off the top of my head...
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @ilya_baran
    That's actually what I figured was going on. Maybe Own Sketch could query for the entities in a different way, but I'm not sure how. Thanks for the update.