Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Render Studio - Feedback

Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
edited February 2022 in Product Feedback
I have wrote a quick little first impression post on using Render Studio and this was the feedback/questions I have from my first use.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/17650/render-studio-first-impressions/p1?new=1

A couple of questions/opinions:
  1. Is there a way to update the configuration when in the render screen? It would be good to export out the same rendered assembly in different positions without needing to recreate the same. For my robot arm example, the arm is being moved to a different position (controlled by configuration) in the same orientation. It seems that I would have to create a new scene and position it again which if your not using a fixed position then could take some time to achieve.
  2. Would there be the potential to turn off and on the auto-update when applying textures? I was thinking may have been good to switch auto off while added then let it work after all textures are applied. Maybe this is just lag from a slow network connection.
  3. It would be great if there was some sort of visual icon down in the tree to display which components have a texture on and which text has been used. I found that I used the search bar to select all but was couldn't make sure I had applied a texture to every part I needed to.
It would also be good to maybe have a separate area for the rending on the forum, similar to the feature script section.

Comments

• andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    NathanMcC said:
    I have wrote a quick little first impression post on using Render Studio and this was the feedback/questions I have from my first use.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/17650/render-studio-first-impressions/p1?new=1

1. Is there a way to update the configuration when in the render screen? It would be good to export out the same rendered assembly in different positions without needing to recreate the same. For my robot arm example, the arm is being moved to a different position (controlled by configuration) in the same orientation. It seems that I would have to create a new scene and position it again which if your not using a fixed position then could take some time to achieve.

+1, I agree this would be a good.feature 👍

3. It would be great if there was some sort of visual icon down in the tree to display which components have a texture on and which text has been used. I found that I used the search bar to select all but was couldn't make sure I had applied a texture to every part I needed to.

I’m guessing here …

… that given Onshape and Migenius now have a common owner (PTC), and that Render Studio bears a very strong resemblance to Migenius’ Reality Server, that they’ve bolted the two products together.  

I think it’s great that Onshape now has native rendering capability …

… However …

… hopefully the Onshape UX / UI folks are working on updating Render Studio to have a bit more of a seamless integration that is more consistent with Onshape’s easy-to-use workflows / design language.  One example (of many): seeing a disk icon to save a workspace in Render Studio is a total anathema to Onshape’s UX experience!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited February 2022

NathanMcC said: seeing a disk icon to save a workspace in Render Studio is a total anathema to Onshape’s UX experience!

I thought the same thing! It dredged up some subconscious nostalgic dread from the Solidworks days that I had forgotten about.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    NathanMcC said:

+1, I agree this would be a good.feature 👍

3. It would be great if there was some sort of visual icon down in the tree to display which components have a texture on and which text has been used. I found that I used the search bar to select all but was couldn't make sure I had applied a texture to every part I needed to.

I’m guessing here …

… that given Onshape and Migenius now have a common owner (PTC), and that Render Studio bears a very strong resemblance to Migenius’ Reality Server, that they’ve bolted the two products together.  

I think it’s great that Onshape now has native rendering capability …

… However …

… hopefully the Onshape UX / UI folks are working on updating Render Studio to have a bit more of a seamless integration that is more consistent with Onshape’s easy-to-use workflows / design language.  One example (of many): seeing a disk icon to save a workspace in Render Studio is a total anathema to Onshape’s UX experience!
    Being very comfortable using SolidWorks visualize and keyshot which has a similar thought process to use, I was really taken aback when testing out reality server when it was still a thing. I couldn't imagine how the creators could have come up with a more uncomfortable workflow. I'm mildly disappointed in all the time reality server was offline during the takeover, onshape didn't manage to nail down a slightly more intuitive experience. I'm glad to at least be able to use it though without a timer ticking in the background. And yes, of course, they must have had a list of items that needed to be realized for onshape live 22. Haha. I recognize including rendering as part of the package must be a pretty big feat and am sooooo glad it is here. The further I can get from that blood letting bloatware SolidWorks the better
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Couple of issues I've encountered too:
    1. a Render studio that did not save a scene after I closed a document, and then opened it again on a different device. I have renders that it produced, but the render scenes are gone. Anyone else have this issue
    2. When updating the geometry in the Render Studio - all the existing material assignments were lost. This is not useful!
    3. I agree that the workflow is very difficult and hard to understand. Can't wait till it gets better.
    Anyone able to apply your own image for a texture as a material? I can't figure it out.

• andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    Couple of issues I've encountered too:
    1. a Render studio that did not save a scene after I closed a document, and then opened it again on a different device. I have renders that it produced, but the render scenes are gone. Anyone else have this issue
    2. When updating the geometry in the Render Studio - all the existing material assignments were lost. This is not useful!
    3. I agree that the workflow is very difficult and hard to understand. Can't wait till it gets better.
    Anyone able to apply your own image for a texture as a material? I can't figure it out.

Re: 1 & 2 -Yes, I encountered these issues as well.  I'm assuming that they're such obvious problems that they'll get sorted out quickly.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    While I'm far from a rendering expert, I've worked with and managed a bunch of people over the years that are...

Render Studio beta is definitely a work in progress. A few thoughts:
    1. That save button!?!?! The whole idea of Onshape is to not need this. We need the same version history that the rest of the system has.
    2. Starting a new render studio can take a very long time. There needs to be better feedback that it hasn't just crashed.
    3. My 3D Connexion Spacemouse doesn't work here, but (mostly) works everywhere else in Onshape.
    4. Importing something with a lot of parts results in a ton of scene appearances. It would be nice to have some way to consolidate these intelligently.
    5. How do I apply an appearance to a set of parts such that when I modify the appearance, they all update at the same time? This is really confusing.
    6. Why when I apply an appearance which has a vaguely useful name (e.g."matte black plastic") does it get turned into "appearance 253"?
    7. When are we going to get some decent documentation? There's so many ways to tweak things, but 70% of it I have no clue what it is.
    8. Similarly, when do we get some training materials?
    9. Why are so many of the scenes so ugly? The default set up is a pretty decent photo studio lighting set up. The others which are labeled "studio" all seem pretty bad, and so many of the HDR scenes are way too cluttered and specific to be useful over a long time. 
    10. Why aren't there basic plastic textures (e.g. Moldtech, Yick Sang, VDI, etc...)?
    11. Why aren't there color controls in L*a*B?
    12. Why isn't there a way to spec color based on Pantone, Munsell, Sickens, or other color matching systems?
    13. Why aren't texture sizes relative to real world units? We're generally not working on Sci-Fi films or games, we're designing real stuff in Onshape.
    14. There's some weird behavior (maybe related to #3) where the focus gets stuck on renaming an appearance and I can't scroll the appearance list.
    All that said, I'm still impressed enough with what I can manage to do despite the challenges. Looking forward to more progress.

@GregBrown

Any thoughts or comments?
    @NeilCooke

Is anyone from the Render Studio team reading any of the feedback in the forums? Why run a beta program if you don't want feedback?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @S1mon all feedback is welcome and of course we take notice of it. All of your points are valid and at least half of them we know about and are on the list to fix. The rest are improvement requests that we’ll get round to in due course. Thanks for your feedback. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI