Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to have all documents/projects etc automatically shared upon creation with teams?

ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
Would be great for Electrical team colleagues to be able to see everything as reviewers without requiring someone to provide access by manually going and finding the project or document and sharing it. similar to how Altium does it, we as the mechanical team can see all the active projects, go into them, view, export etc easily.

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm with Ryan here. We default to "open" and only add privacy where it makes sense. This would be a good global setting for that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    If the docs are in folders or projects, yes. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    But this requires you to either share it with a team upon creation as in the folder or project, or at a later date share it with a team. I would like by default all documents to be viewable with certain permissions to certain teams without input every time.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    That is what Projects are for, if you have you users organized by team permissions are only assigned once at the project level, anything that gets added to that project would be visible to the teams that have access to it.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    Would be better to not have to do that at project level and just have it all shared with the company with set permissions.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm with Ryan here. We default to "open" and only add privacy where it makes sense. This would be a good global setting for that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,367 PRO
    Would this work: create a project template with default permissions to certain teams, and then whenever you need a new project, you can just duplicate the template?
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Yeah, definitely that makes sense for smaller teams. That's why I'm a big proponent that these things need to be "options" in the environment configuration. You don't want to force a smaller implementation to operate like an enterprise, and vice-versa; you don't want an open world in a controlled multi-team environment
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager