Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Feature: Linear Pattern Plus

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 1,293 PRO
edited March 30 in General
I've been wanting this one for a while, so I finally got around to making it! This is riff on the native Linear Pattern feature that adds arrow manipulators, options for patterning based on total length or referencing other geometry. It also adds a third direction to the pattern. Enjoy it and let me know what you end up using it for!

Go get it here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1196579d97167d7a348652a9/v/1c9b35be187e7992fe9815d7/e/3e9783cad47053c2abb99ce0

Watch the 10-minute video tour here for details: 
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 632 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

Video looks great. The permissions or location of your FS seem to be off. I can't access it.

I'd love to see this kind of spacing functionality with non-rectangular spacing. I assume a parallelogram (or parallelepiped) would work, but it would be cool if any 4-sided surface or 8-sided part would work. I know there's Surface Pattern, but it doesn't have some of the nice additions that you've done.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 1,293 PRO
    lol critical mistake. Try now.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 768 PRO
    This will save some headaches. Very legit. Thanks for sharing @Evan_Reese!
  • SethFSethF Member Posts: 65 PRO
    edited March 30
    So cool, @Evan_Reese! I've set up a lot of configurations where I had to do the math each time. Looks like you've got a pretty slick UI (speaking as someone who has very little experience developing UIs..). I'm excited to try it out!
    S1mon said:

I'd love to see this kind of spacing functionality with non-rectangular spacing. I assume a parallelogram (or parallelepiped) would work, but it would be cool if any 4-sided surface or 8-sided part would work. I know there's Surface Pattern, but it doesn't have some of the nice additions that you've done.
    Do you mean like forcing a rectangular grid to constrain to fit into a circle or something? Can you share an example?
    SethF said:
    So cool, @Evan_Reese! I've set up a lot of configurations where I had to do the math each time. Looks like you've got a pretty slick UI (speaking as someone who has very little experience developing UIs..). I'm excited to try it out!
    Glad I'm not the only one! This pretty much just automates repetitive setup I've been doing with variables and measurements and makes it a lot more interactive.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 632 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

I was thinking in terms of how surface pattern works along U and V. It already does one of your spacing options where it will do the math to divide up 0…1 by however many instances you want in U and or V. It would be great to have the min/max spacing and the border options. 
    S1mon said:
    @Evan_Reese

I was thinking in terms of how surface pattern works along U and V. It already does one of your spacing options where it will do the math to divide up 0…1 by however many instances you want in U and or V. It would be great to have the min/max spacing and the border options. 
    Got ya. I think that sounds like it ought to be a totally different feature or a fork of the Surface Pattern feature. I'm just doing some algebra here, but as soon as we take the min/max spacing into 3D on a surface's UV space I don't know how to validate it anymore since the UV's may not be distributed evenly, and the surface may double back close to itself. All I can think of would be to loop through every single instance and check its closeness to neighboring ones and then modify the feature somehow in a recursive process, which sounds prohibitively computational. There's probably something simpler I'm not thinking of and maybe some computer science master could offer some help, but it's over my head. I mostly just do industrial design 😃
    I just updated this to add arrow manipulators when using Measured Value with an offset.
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 347 PRO
    @Evan_Reese This is a perfect pattern tool. It does all the things I have always had to strong arm features into accomplishing. Nice work!
    @Evan_Reese This is a perfect pattern tool. It does all the things I have always had to strong arm features into accomplishing. Nice work!
    Thanks! I'd had to strongarm one too many times and I was fed up with it.
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 168 PRO
    Another Home Run @Evan_Reese, thanks for sharing
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
    Thanks @adrian_vlzkz
    I just released an edit to this feature that I think makes a bit more sense. Previously I had 3 options for the spacing:
    1. spacing - like the normal pattern feature
    2. Total length - which let's you pick how long the whole things is
    3. Measured length - which let's you measure how long the whole thing is
    Since then I've had some cases where I wished I could just measure the gap between a single instance, so now I've got it split out where you have options for:
    1. Spacing
    2. Total Length
    and a second set of options for:
    1. Distance - you can input a number, like the standard pattern feature
    2. Measured Value - you can measure anything and use it for either the total length or instance spacing
    I think it's more flexible this way. Hopefully you all agree! If so, update to V4.