Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

New Feature: Linear Pattern Plus

13»

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    @eric_pesty
    That's also possible, but would make all of the other instances unstable in unintuitive ways. If you reference instance 2 it would keep jumping around as you change the count. I think I prefer it to just keep the last one stable by essentially labeling it "last" instead of "instance 5" or something.
    LOL!
    Good point. I should probably think things through a bit more before typing it in!
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 812 PRO
    I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be nicer to have a separate feature that can integrate with the pattern.  Something that would create sort of a dummy piece of geometry that one can use to link up to.  There could maybe be a lot more possibility for additional control over exactly what the user may want the dummy instance to do.  So, clearly people want the last instance stable.  But maybe sometimes you want the second from last instance stable.  Or the third.  Maybe you want the instance closest to the center stable.  Maybe if the quantity of instances is even, you want the last instance stable but when odd, the second from last.  My thought on this stems from generally being quite content with creating a second pattern of the so called "dummy" piece of geometry and just using the extract variable feature to drive it and potentially add some other logic in there.  My only issue with this technique is, I don't use it quite everyday and when I do use it, I have to think for a few moments longer then I would have liked. :D . If there was another feature similar to the extract variables but created that dummy part with all the needed options and logic all in one feature, I think it would possible be better.  And then the linear pattern continues to behave in more or less the way designers expect and have been accustomed to for decades.