Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export PDF File Name

Axel_Kollmenter
Axel_Kollmenter Member, pcbaevp Posts: 437 PRO
Hello everyone,

everytime I export a PDF the name of this pdf is a random number. 
Is there a way how I can change this?



The reason for this is if a manufacturer download the pdf he has a random number instead of the real name for the document.

Thanks in advance
Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
Tagged:

Answers

  • eric_pesty
    eric_pesty Member, pcbaevp Posts: 2,895 PRO
    This looks like the path of the model. You should be able to set an "export rule" to automatically generate a name (either document name, description, part number etc)
  • Axel_Kollmenter
    Axel_Kollmenter Member, pcbaevp Posts: 437 PRO
    @eric_pesty
    I tried it but nothing changed. 

    Thank you anyways.
    Best regards,

    Axel Kollmenter
  • MBartlett21
    MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to get the pdf downloaded with the correct name, you should right click on the tab and choose download, not just click download when you are viewing the pdf.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • billy2
    billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,194 PRO
    @axel_kollmenter have you got this working?

    I'm confused about your pdf download question. If you're using the OS API and want to force a download to a client from your server, remember that the client never asked for it. There are ways to force a download to a client. I haven't done it yet, but I want to.

    I'm running sockets, so most my traffic is between the browser tab and my server. Sockets does not have access to the hard drive. Sockets does have access to browser memory for long term storage but you need to be careful not storing a lot of data on a client's computer.

    A pdf stored in browser memory won't display the way you want so you shouldn't use sockets for the transfer.

    If you figure out how to force an unwanted download from a server to a client, please post. I know it can be done.



  • Axel_Kollmenter
    Axel_Kollmenter Member, pcbaevp Posts: 437 PRO
    Hi @billy2 thats way to specific. I just wanted to rename the pdf before downloading it. Unfortunately I cant solve your answer. But thanks anyways.
    Best regards,

    Axel Kollmenter
  • john_mcclary
    john_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 4,102 PRO
    edited April 2022
    It should default to the tab name. I think @MBartlett21's answer is what you're looking for