Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Image quality - how to explain?

don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
I have a support ticket in for image quality and so I'm not here to exacerbate the issue but to seek how you might explain to a customer or fellow hobbyist why there is a gap showing between parts with the same bordering radii or why the radii appear segmented when really they aren't. 

Do you say bluntly, the program Onshape is not up to snuff yet, after 3 yrs it's still a beta program! (I don't know if it's been 3 years or not...just looking for some "I know what I'm talking about technical talk")

Now this is not a production item but it could be and potentially this would be very hard to sell to someone in upper management or even production who wants to get the best bang for their money. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/81c818868c0146398dda98f6/w/51a1113c653340f8a689391c/e/c110b9b032a844af921d4608

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Look at this post on OS Tessellation Resolution, some good feed back from OS people but I don't think much has change in this space since then. 

I find I am regularly making the excuse of slow internet when showing Onshape off and people comment on the blocky image. However generally it doesn't really effect me, only when I want to do a print off or a final inspection of parts, for this it would be nice to be able to chose a high quality mode. 

Thanks for the link, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It's hard not to be cynical, but when something doesn't really effect you it tends not to get the attention and support it really needs. Onshape has a lot going for it, I hope there is a resolution to this issue soon. 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    This why I usually make a quick render (in keyshot) before giving out images.. I hope we will have built in rendeder someday for perfect image shots / animations.
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2015
    @don_howe what I was meaning is that when I am working at producing geometry (as fast as I can) I will not be as analytical on the surface's, during this I want everything to work as quick as possible, no lag and I am willing to sacrifice the surfaces for speed in rebuild, however when I get to the point in a model when I want to review the work, then I want everything to be perfect, here I maybe willing to go into a high res mode and wait for a rebuild if need be.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yes but in my case this is simple geometry, it's not complex. The analysis being offered makes it sound like we are all running on 386 machines and we're not capable of handling better performance. Once the model is loaded who's system is actually handling the graphics and rebuild? I would say my system is otherwise there would be no need to wait for the model to load, but I've been wrong before.

I think what I'm getting at is that modern pc's, macs, tablets and internet connections are capable of handling something a little better than what we are seeing from Onshape. Right out of the box, our systems are more than capable. I know Onshape working on it and I don't mind too much that my geometry is segmented and the surfaces seem rough, I just don't like the fact that I can see "day light" between something I know I shouldn't be able to. Hopefully an improvement will be made soon.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    don_howe said:
    I just don't like the fact that I can see "day light" between something I know I shouldn't be able to. Hopefully an improvement will be made soon.
    Fair point, this can be really confusing. Might be worth documenting when real bad and sharing with support. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Problem with tessellation low resolution don't especially bothers me, only becasue I work on a small asseblies, but by curiosity I've decided to investigate this topic a bit, and I can't find reasons why it is so low. I've uploaded @Mark Biasotti porsche file to Grabcad and Kenesto (both have browser viewers) and there was no problem with model loading time and frame rate, non. Of course I've uploded .step file which already have tessellated data to display, where if I would upload .step to Onshape it would use it own engine for tessellation.
    Here's some shots:

(don't look at frame rate those are gifs only)
    I even tested all that on quite old PC, and difference is more then noticeable. I'm curious what are the reasons, when obviously not browser side, at least on PC.
  • Options
    @michał_1, Very interesting.
  • Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    don_howe said:
    Yes but in my case this is simple geometry, it's not complex.  
    I have assemblies that are also small in file size and complexity...nothing like the Porsche above.  Some of the parts in them look great while others look terrible.  That makes it really hard to explain to people when I show them OnShape.