Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Laptop specs: 16 GB RAM with shared graphics card or 8 GB RAM with 4GB dedicated graphics?

High all,

my dilemma is as simple as it sounds. In terms of overall Onshape performance, which of the two directions would noticeably outperform the other?

Thank you in advance

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Dedicated graphics every time. Onboard graphics never have the horsepower despite sharing RAM. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @NeilCooke The exception to this would be Apple Silicon. The graphics engine built into the M1 (and now M2) chips is pretty amazing, and the shared RAM makes it that much faster and more flexible.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    @S1mon agreed - my M1 Pro gives 800m+ and 300m+ which is equivalent to a high spec nVidia card. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 665 PRO
    If you will be working on larger assemblies, or, multiple sessions of smaller designs in OS at once, the 8GB of ram will 100% run out. I run out all the time on my M1 Air which has 8GB. Since you are using this professionally, I'd highly recommend 16GB minimum, plus a dedicated GPU (if on Windows), and 16GB minimum on an M1 Apple system.

My work issued laptop is a 4 year old Dell precision with 16GB ram and 4GB Quadro GPU. It was struggling on my assemblies. I upped the ram to 64GB with an Amazon upgrade, and it was a night and day improvement. The extra ram only comes into play with large designs. Small stuff runs fine on a Walmart computer.