Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is is possible to share a design as view only

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
We want to display some of the work our org is doing as view only...as a way of generating possible interest in joining the project. But we dont want to share designs that can be copied until the designs reach a release point.

I see that designs can be shared public and the folks can make a private copy. Can that private copy be reshared?

Best Answer

• stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Answer ✓
    Back to the original question - both Share w/o copy or download and no-login-link are being worked on now.  To @kevin_quigley's point, we do listen and have definitely heard you on this one.  :)

Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @robert_jackson at the moment even if you share your model as view only with someone they can still make a private copy an re-shared if they wanted to. The feature you`re looking for is a web viewer you can vote on the improvement here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1499/share-model-outside-onshape-public-link-view-only

Not sure how complex the design is, what you can do alternatively is export your files to STEP, re-import it back to a new OS document and share it, the people you shared with will be able to make a copy and re share it as well but all the operations will be lost. 
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2015
    I would probably make a turn table animation gif (with screen recorder) or similar to show off the design to gather more people around. Put that gif into new document and share in public or just post here on the forums with instructions how to join the project. 

Currently everything you share can be copied and reshared in private or public group.
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    We absolutely need to be able to share a doc as view only and have the confidence that people can not copy the doc. This should be the standard for all private doc's when sharing is view only. I noticed yesterday that some could copy a tab when in a private doc I'd shared as view only this should not be the case.

I have been promoting Onshape as a way to share files which can not be downloaded or copied and you can pull access at anytime. This is a big feature, I have not had time to investigate but now it looks like this feature is not available. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett I agree, Having this capability will help me with clients that are ITAR compliant and have issues with me using Onshape for the reason that I cannot assure that an unauthorized copy can't be made. Therefore I cannot collaborate with the machinist but only with authorized personnel.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    How about making a 3D PDF of the part or assembly with all of the advanced features, like measurement, cross section, etc. turned off?  That lets the viewer rotate, zoom, and print the part without giving them design details.
    I think this issue should be worked properly, one size does not fit all. Though Onshape is having very few preferences and that makes it so nice and simple; here we need to be able to fine tune all the details.

I would like to see advanced sharing with enable/disable properties for:
    - Edit
    - Copy
    - Measure
    - Section view
    - View sketch
    - View sketch with dimensions
    - Show/hide parts
    - Show/hide feature tree
    - Move things in assembly
    - View manipulation (if disabled, model would be like auto updating image)
       - Zoom
       - Turn
    - Comments

+ New features
    - Rulers (to quickly show scale for model)
    - On screen sticky text notes ie. redline

Did I cover everything?

//rami
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Share with a view-only link is highly requested. 
    That said, if you want it, make sure that you vote for it in the enhancements section of the forum. 
    The more votes something gets, the sooner we will start working on it :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Share with a view-only link is highly requested. 
    That said, if you want it, make sure that you vote for it in the enhancements section of the forum. 
    The more votes something gets, the sooner we will start working on it :)
    Are the votes counted directly like a democracy?

Sometimes someone with experience and education has to step in a guide the masses.
    That's the advantage of a republic over a democracy.

I think Boston is still a republic? :)

I think something like this is very critical to the success of the product.
    Regardless of the voting numbers, I would think this is something that a representative should escalate.

@philip_thomas  I know you are 'on our side' on this but if you want votes, put the voting up front in forum and have a straight link inside program - currently voting is hidden behind too many clicks..

I understand if you count votes for having another text color or not - but having 'view only link' is self explanatory for cloud cad. And highly needed function to use Onshape commercially.
    //rami
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @kevin_quigley Kevin - i do see your point and you're right, we are working on it ;)
    My goal was to get people to know/start-using the voting 
    @3dcad - yes, many people do not know about the mechanism (hence my post) :)
    @robert_jackson - think of us more like  a 'benevolent dictator' - we will stay true to Jon's vision, but are very keen to make sure we give the users what they say they want (and sometimes really cool stuff that they didn't even know they needed (iphone)) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Answer ✓
    Back to the original question - both Share w/o copy or download and no-login-link are being worked on now.  To @kevin_quigley's point, we do listen and have definitely heard you on this one.  :)

• OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    stevehess said:

Thanks Steve. That's great to know. Hope the discussion didn't come across as too intense. Just a group of passionate users that really want to see Onshape shine.
    @stevehess
    Do you plan to allow measurement in view-only modes? 

I would need some kind of possibility to show certain dimensions, since that is what my customers will first ask.
    //rami
    edited October 2015
    Yes @3dcad we will but we all agree there are cases when measure (and other behaviors) may want to be off.
    I can understand the measure issue from both sides.  1) of course we need to measure & 2) no way, I am protecting my design.  

There will definitely be more discussion on this one......

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad
    Would it be useful (in some cases) to make specified measurements available, in the form of driven dimensions which could be flagged for inclusion in the view-only model?
    This would improve convenience for the recipient, and allow finer control of what they could and could not measure.
    @stevehess @andrew_troup
    That is exactly why I wrote 'possibility to show certain dimensions' instead of measurement tool - if no dimensions are selected to be shown in view only mode, none will appear. Nor me or my clients are after full featured measurement tool, it would just make things too complicated.

What we need is feature similar to show sketch dimensions but we need to be able to select dimensions from multiple sketches / extrusions (like Andrew suggested).

The only problem I can see is how to make it simple and clear to control which dimensions are shown and which are not..

What do you think of this Steve?

ps. This would enable using Onshape models embedded to webshop 3d product image and show product dimensions with a single click. This single feature would justify a great deal of pro accounts if marketing finds right channels..
    //rami
  • magret_doseymagret_dosey Member Posts: 4
    We absolutely need to be able to share a doc as view only and have the confidence that people can not copy the doc. This should be the standard for all private doc's when sharing is view only. I noticed yesterday that some could copy a tab when in a private doc I'd shared as view only this should not be the case. 
    I agree on this. If someone intends to copy, he will find out all the possible means to get that. User experience is more important than that