Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tapered Cylinder with ribs (Knob)

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeremy_irwinjeremy_irwin Member Posts: 4
    I've gotten a TON closer to what I'm trying to accomplish. The tough part here is that I'm recreating an existing knob (one is missing from a piece that we've restored) and I'm trying to see if I can make a replica.  

I'm getting some strangeness at the base of my draft that changing the draft angle doesn't seem to cure.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d86fd79536fb827f205cbf13/w/4f00be95a3220164e2e661fd/e/1bea63b04516d2b0f785fd43

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jeremy_irwin the pattern is a separate feature, not part of any sketch. In this case I’m patterning the faces of the ribs. Feel free to copy and edit the document in order to poke around a bit. 
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Just a small basic knob I made years ago. Was 3d printed to go on a potentiometer.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3b45f12fa730f8c165e7bea3/w/ba7dd857729762d59b29ac3d/e/03607b74612cafeac7ddcf94

Was fun to run across this post and see the great variety being shared. Cheers all.

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks great
  • Options
    aryan_dongaaryan_donga Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I got really excited seeing this thread. There are so many mind blowing designs for such a simple thing. I never saw a knob and thought it could be made in so many amazing ways. I really appreciate what you guys made, these are really awesome. I'm just starting with 3D modelling and all I've learnt so far is just parametric modelling (I think that's what it is called). Basically Just really simple designs with straight lines and circles at most. I would really like to learn how to make such intricate designs. Could you guide me on where to learn this things or even better would be to maybe record yourself making some of these and help newbies like me learn along.

Once again, these look pretty 
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    @aryan_donga
    You can use the rollback bar to walk through any of these step by step, then ask a specific question on a specific step to get a better answer. I also do have some tutorials I've made. Here's one of a model tour, that's probably most similar to the kinds of things in this thread.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    aryan_dongaaryan_donga Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I got really excited seeing this thread. There are so many mind blowing designs for such a simple thing. I never saw a knob and thought it could be made in so many amazing ways. I really appreciate what you guys made, these are really awesome. I'm just starting with 3D modelling and all I've learnt so far is just parametric modelling (I think that's what it is called). Basically Just really simple designs with straight lines and circles at most. I would really like to learn how to make such intricate designs. Could you guide me on where to learn this things or even better would be to maybe record yourself making some of these and help newbies like me learn along.

Once again, these look pretty 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited November 2023
    When someone says parametric, they mean all the features or parts communicate with each other. So making a change to one thing can automatically change features in another. 

Nothing wrong with only drawing cubes and cylinders... In my field that accounts for most of what I draw lol.

The old 'plate with four holes' is more useful than it sounds..  ;)