Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Just for Fun: Pixel Cuboids

SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
edited June 2022 in General
Just for funsies, I made a model using cuboids as pixels in a picture, using featurescript to assign the color to each 😂😂

Here's the link.

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    really cool! How'd you preprocess your picture data? I wish Featurescript could do it internally.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Oh shit. That's awesome. You're going to be at the next user group meeting right? 
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese I cheated 😂😂. I used an online extractor to pull the data off of an image I had saved at a very low resolution. I thought it'd be cool to do it internally too, but a) didn't know where to begin/if it was possible, and b) wanted to start small by just applying the data to different cubes and see how Onshape handled 2000some (I guess 2772 ) pixels. Very simple, and a very fun start!

@john_mcclary Thanks! I'm gonna try, but it'd have to be while I'm on the road, so we'll see..
  • Options
    xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    edited June 2022
    Reminds me of the “Polaroid” feature I wrote a while ago :) 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16650/new-award-winning-custom-feature
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to Tuesday meeting @SethF and join like minds who push Onshape in all directions..... maybe even @xTimRice will show up. :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    @SethF
    what online tool did you use, if you don't mind? I've been curious to mess with image data. It could be a cool way to adjust the offset of things. You could, for example, use it to create a grid of points at heights based on image values, and create a Fill surface through them to create a 3D printable lithophane.  Or just keep it pixelated like you have but make them different heights for a more stylized look. It would be a fun one to code up!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    @Evan_Reese Yeah! I was thinking of using it for a grid of points for converting relief images (this kinda thing) into a solid model. Obviously already better tools for doing that out there, but it’d be fun to do with this approach. I like the pixelated lithophane idea! That could look super cool. Back to the grid of points; you could probably get a pretty smooth surface for a lithophane cause for one thing you wouldn’t generate nearly 3,000 cubes for a 42x65 pixel photo 😂

I'm pretty sure this is the one I used for extracting the color data. I may or may not have used python to assign the coordinates to the data, just because what little programming experience I do have is mostly in python.. But I do hope to at least write that part in the featurescript soon, ha.
  • Options
    Here's a just-for-fun variation, with each pixel broken up into it's R, G, and B.

• Options
    @xTimRice That is still SO cool! Me and my coworker still geek out about that from time to time!