Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Render Battle #1 - All are welcome to participate!

MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 876 PRO

Render Battle #1

Welcome to the first Onshape unofficial render battle! All are welcome to participate or judge. 

How it works: Whoever creates the closest render to the picture wins. We will all vote at the end to see who's render is the most accurate. 

Rules: 
  1. You must model the items from scratch only using the picture (No measuring if you have this product =P).
  2. Use render studio or reality server for rendering.
  3. Have fun!

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 876 PRO
    edited June 28
    @Evan_Reese & @steve_shubin I hope I'm not the only one who enters this challenge. There is no time constraint, take all the time you like.

Started my entry, just a wire body so far:

edited June 29
    @john_mcclary
    I had to look twice! It looks so real.

Thanks for participating   :)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,693 PRO
    Thanks!

That's the frist time I've modeled something like that, and the first decent render I've ever made.
    Also, first time I've used a light emitter in rendering.

Got to practice a few new things doing this!
    edited June 29
    You even got the number of lights right! Now that's some attention to detail.
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 205 PRO
    edited June 29
    @john_mcclary naa you just took a photo of your own spacemouse xD This looks super real!

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    now i'm looking for mine, I can't find it :( must have thrown it away or gave it away. Those things are garbage (the drivers at least)
    @MichaelPascoe I will try my own if i got some free time. Maybe we start a contest and the winner pick the next model?
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    edited June 29
    now i'm looking for mine, I can't find it :( must have thrown it away or gave it away. Those things are garbage (the drivers at least)
    I had only good times with the normal spacemouse in SolidWorks now I got the big enterprise one with onshape and I LOVE all the buttons to program with different commands :D

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    edited June 29
    @Axel_Kollmenter good to hear! Hmm, that is a good idea. Though this one was carefully picked to get people interested. The wrong photo could deter people from participating. The winner should get something though.

For the next battle, I will have a "Hall of fame" list showing who has won previous battles. 

Should we incorporate a prize? I could 3D print something. A trophy?
    edited June 29
    @MichaelPascoe mmh I think the shipping prices are to high ^^ I mean I´m from germany and I think its not cheap to ship something to USA for example^^

Maybe the winner gets the stl file of the trophy and if he got a 3d printer he could print his own.

But the idea with the "Hall of fame" is brilliant!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, Simulation EVP Posts: 283 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    (The name) HaHa! that is a sneaky way of showing your opinion of the device.
    You caught that eh?  >:)
    @MichaelPascoe

In the future, if you want to do a competition. We used to start the post as a question.
    Then you can "Accept the answer" for every submission so they appear directly under the original post.

Then people can vote up the ones they like from a sorted list. Rather than digging through comments
    Oo, very nice. I'll remember that for Render Battle #2.
    edited June 29
    General shape is finished, now to add some lights and details.
    Looking good, let's see that render!
    mahir said:
    @john_mcclary NOCONNEXION :joy:
    Could'a been worse...

@MichaelPascoe

In the future, if you want to do a competition. We used to start the post as a question.
    Then you can "Accept the answer" for every submission so they appear directly under the original post.

Then people can vote up the ones they like from a sorted list. Rather than digging through comments

Great Idea!
    I would do it this way
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    Looking good, let's see that render!
    Should be able to render later today after work.
    Very nice
    edited July 1
    Finished. I had to render it on my enterprise account and bring it over to the public....
    I think the buttons are a bit to blue. But fantastic rendering.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    edited July 1
    It's definitely not perfect. Though render studio is currently in it's beta stage. This could explain the light traveling through the model then through the buttons. But that's ok, I followed rule #3  :D
    You could block the light through that gap by putting a wall in there rather than a floating button. 
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers, Simulation EVP Posts: 241 PRO
    The light through the gap looks very good to me. It is also visible in the reference photo of the real part.
    edited July 2
    @MichaelPascoe I will try my own if i got some free time. Maybe we start a contest and the winner pick the next model?
    @Axel_Kollmenter How far along are you?