Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Custom Feature: Cable/Wire Routing

12346»

Comments

• Options
    jahid_kalifullahjahid_kalifullah Member Posts: 12
    Hello Neil,  

Im not able to see the wire defaults in the Variable studio , which is shown in the wiring harness routing demo video.
    please suggest.
  • Options
    Hello Neil,

I m not able to place the wire connector in the model. please check the below image.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,477
    edited May 11
    @jahid_kalifullah please create a support ticket and share the model
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke I want to control the wire entry length , but the "By Manipulator" option is not showing. please suggest.

• Options
    @jahid_kalifullah the names changed from the original feature and the videos at the top of the post are out of date. Sorry. You are almost there. Edit wire 1 and the manipulator for the cable will appear. 
  • Options
    @NeilCooke Thanks.
  • Options
    @NeilCooke I want to create a bundle (consider it as wire coverings) on the wires . current set up shows like , first need to create a cable for the wires and then bundle on it. 
    But i want to create bundle directly on the wires. Please suggest.

• Options
    @jahid_kalifullah this should be done with a cable, assuming all the wires are in the same feature. A bundle is only used if you are splicing, so wires defined in different features can use the bundle option, but then you wouldn't be able to get them to follow each other like you can in a cable.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    Changelog for release 1.181

⭐ Fixed issue with strip to first/last clip
    ⭐ Broken out end conditions into separate options for more control

To update an existing route, the options for first/second strip may look wrong, but the result is correct. If you edit the options, you may have to edit both of them to get it back to how it was. This was required for updating.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,607 PRO
    Thanks @NeilCooke
    The new jacket end conditions are great!
  • Options
    This one is not a huge deal but we do find ourselves often specifying "strip and retain" on our drawings and usually show a piece of insulation offset at the end, something like this:

It would be neat to have an option to generate these automatically, although probably only useful in the "straight" config of the part...
  • Options
    This is just curiosity at this point but do you have a plan for managing socket/pins for connectors (i.e adding them to the eventual "BOM"/table to be shown on a drawing) and are you able to share what you had in mind?

Maybe a 3rd option (next to Connector and Terminal) to define a socket and a section in the Connector to link them together? When inserting a connector you would then be prompted to select a pin/socket to populate the used connector positions.

There are some interesting consideration with some connectors having a wide range of sockets to pick from, including different versions based on the wire size, it would be great to be able to define acceptable wire range for each one to get some built-in error checking (and to have the inserted connector populate the correct ones based on wire size). 
    Now that I think of it, it might be useful in the current wire connector feature to define compatible wire sizes for extra protection from design errors...
  • Options
    Wout_Van_GervenWout_Van_Gerven Member Posts: 3 PRO

I'm using the wiring feature a lot, and there are a few things that I'm missing or that are not working as I would expect:

1. The ability to create a bundle of wires without forming a cable.
    2. Adding twisted pairs of wires and accurately reflecting the added length to the cable.(is not yet a feature maybe nice to add in the future)
    3. Ensuring that if one wire follows a path of another, it continues to do so even after the original wire is edited, as long as the "follow first wire" option is enabled. Now if this is on and you add a point or edit the wire only the first one changes.
    4. The ability to see the strip lengths of the wires in the table.
    5. The option to add part numbers to the connectors, and have them appear in the table along with the plugs and pins used. Otherwise I have to add that in the feature script but when its updated I have to add this to the new script every time.

These issues would  improve the functionality and usability of the wiring feature also when its needed to produce the wire harness from the tables.

• Options
    Changelog for release 1.181.1

⭐ Fixed an issue with wire length calculations when "Follow first wire" is selected

Big thanks to @Wout_Van_Gerven for finding this.
  • Options
    Jonathan_HockadayJonathan_Hockaday Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Maybe I've missed it, but, this tutorial doesn't cover actually putting it into the assembly. You're left with an empty assembly, and a part studio which you can't mate. 

So, what now?
  • Options
    Jonathan_HockadayJonathan_Hockaday Member Posts: 4 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Is it possible to do flatten the routed 3D harness model?  if yes, please share the steps to do it.
    Not yet
    My ignorance is showing, but, if we can't flatten it and produce a schematic, how does one send this info to a supplier and get a harness? 

Ex: I have a harness going around a roof, with several branches to lights. In the tutorial, I don't see any way a harness producer would know where to join the highlighted cable into the harness, how much it should protrude on either side, etc. 

If I'm missing something, please let me know. If those feature(s) are not included, are they planned?
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Is it possible to do flatten the routed 3D harness model?  if yes, please share the steps to do it.
    Not yet
    My ignorance is showing, but, if we can't flatten it and produce a schematic, how does one send this info to a supplier and get a harness? 

Ex: I have a harness going around a roof, with several branches to lights. In the tutorial, I don't see any way a harness producer would know where to join the highlighted cable into the harness, how much it should protrude on either side, etc. 

If I'm missing something, please let me know. If those feature(s) are not included, are they planned?
    The "not yet" was the giveaway. It's in the works.
  • Options
    Maybe I've missed it, but, this tutorial doesn't cover actually putting it into the assembly. You're left with an empty assembly, and a part studio which you can't mate. 

So, what now?
    In the Part Studio you'll see a Part called Wire in-Context Reference (or something like that). Assemble that and the harness into the assembly (actually better doing it in a subassembly), group them, and assemble the "reference" part to the assembly origin.