Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do i rotate a drawing of a part in the Drawing studio?

noah_hofernoah_hofer Member Posts: 8
I inserted a drawing of my base part but i want it to be horizontal instead of vertical. 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a workaround you can do in a drawing:

Place a standard view (choosing one from which you can project the desired view) outside the margins of the drawing title block, so it does not print.
    This will enable you to project the desired view (in the desired orientation) from that view.

Here's an example of how it works: Say the standard front view is "Portrait" when you want it to be "Landscape".
    If you create a "Top" view off to the left of the page, then project across horizontally, you will get a front view on the page, which is in "Landscape" orientation. 
    (or rear view, depending on whether projection is first or third angle)  

Whereas if the same Top view had been placed below the bottom of the page, and you had projected upwards, you will get the same front (or rear) view, but in "Portrait" orientation like the standard view.

In no way is this a viable substitute for production drawing, and the ability to rotate views to any arbitrary angle is one of the hundreds of missing capabilities which are essential for that purpose ... but at least it's an easier workaround than dicking with the Part Studio.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @andrew_troup Thanks for that, good idea.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    That's a good workaround @andrew_troup . Hopefully we don't have to wait long for a better solution. Ideally I want to see align to edge as well as a rotate view to angle 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    mohamad_ahmadimohamad_ahmadi Member Posts: 1
    How do I rotate a part studio view in the drawing? When I right-click and select properties, the rotation angle is disabled. 
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ mohamad_ahmadi , I think you have a another which is projected from the view which you want to rotate.so it is not allowing to rotate.
    or you have created drawing using four view method.so it is having associated views.
    Insert another general view and try to rotate it.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    @mohamad_ahmadi - you have to right click and break alignment on the view before you can rotate it. This is a known UI anomaly and will be addressed REAL soon. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    AgersensAgersens Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Hi Onshape, this post was last updated in May 2016. I assume you now have this problem fixed and we can save a view in the part and then add a saved ISO view into a drawing.? Thanks Steve
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @Agersens Yes, there are a couple of solutions as of today in Onshape:  View rotation by the view properties and also placing a named view from a part or assembly studio.  
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Agersens  ,

As Pete said you now have two options:

1. You can rotate views by "Rotation angle" in the properties when you RMB on a veiw.

2. Set up a named view at the desired angle you want in the part studio and select this when inserting a view into the drawing. "Align view with vertical axis" can help here to get the right angle.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977