Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Split by UV curve?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
Using opCreateCurvesOnFace() I can generate UV curves for a given face. Is there a way to split that face with the curve without making surface geometry to do it?
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Not atm. @Jacob_Corder?

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    @MichaelPascoe
    I looked at how you approached it on Thickness Analysis, and I'm essentially trying to avoid doing that, haha. It's a good solution given the tools we have but I'm betting it wasn't your Plan A either.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Evan_Reese For (mostly) better or worse, OS is not Catia  :D
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, that was not the route I wanted to take..

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,374 PRO
    @Evan_Reese

I don't think there's anything available now, but there may been something soon, based on some discussions. Theoretically, splitting a surface by U or V is relatively simple mathematically, and should leave you with two surfaces which are identical to the original.

This isn't 100% what you're asking for, but I made an IR a while back for move boundary by U or V.
  • Options
    Definitely clever given current constraints.
  • Options
    S1mon said:
    @Evan_Reese

I don't think there's anything available now, but there may been something soon, based on some discussions. Theoretically, splitting a surface by U or V is relatively simple mathematically, and should leave you with two surfaces which are identical to the original.

This isn't 100% what you're asking for, but I made an IR a while back for move boundary by U or V.
    Good to know from a fundamental level it's not prohibitive. I know the functionality is a bit niche, but I can think of a few custom features it would make possible.
  • Options
    Definitely clever given current constraints.
    Credit to @Jacob_Corder for that one.

• Options
    Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    I found that opSweep with lockFaces was the fastest method for generating a small surface to split the faces with.  Solidworks had splitFaceOnParam which would essentially be what you are asking for.  I have a strong feeling very soon it will be available to us. It will likely be a split face with curve hopefully, then opCreateCurvesOnFace can indirectly split a face with the use of the curve itself. 

Another way to do it would be to use opCreateBSplineSurface and supply the boundaryBSplineCurves. this generates a new face and a thicken would likely need to be created to split the face you want. this also is likely not going to be a fast approach but would allow you to create a inner loop split on a face.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    edited October 2022
    There is now, in the Split Face feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI