Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to setup a gear mates and relation for a counter mechansim?

max_tran483max_tran483 Member Posts: 7 EDU
I would like to setup a gear relation for a counter mechanism. The simplest one is shown in this video:
https://youtu.be/rjWfIiaOFR4?t=40. I tried but so far have not figured it out. Those who would like to try this problem can search for a two disks counter mechanism, a design that used two of these gear arrangements. Such mechanisms are also used in the Curta mechanical computer. But those are far too complicated to analyze. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Answers

• Options
    trevor_tollefsboltrevor_tollefsbol Member Posts: 7 PRO
    edited September 2022
    Hi @max_tran483, I just setup a really quick example, but the key to gear mates is setting up the right "Cylindrical" mates first.  I realize this example is extremely simplistic, but the concepts can be used to expand into the counter mech shown in your video. 

In my example below, I use 3 cylindrical mates that are referenced in the gear mates.  1 Cylindrical mate for each counter wheel, and then 1 cylindrical mate for the driving gears.  The driving gears are fixed to each other so they rotate together.

Then, when you setup the gear mates, you set the appropriate gear ratio based on driving:counter tooth count.  In this example, I didn't actually worry about specific tooth counts, just setup a 1:10 and 1:20 ratios.  You have to select the driving cylindrical mate + counter 1 cylindrical mate, for one ratio.  Then select the driving cylindrical mate + counter 2 cylindrical mate for the second ratio.

I made the document public so you can use it here: Counter Mechanism

I'll play around a little more to make the counter wheel not continuously rotate.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @max_tran483 my curiosity is piqued now.  I'm going to spend more time on this when I can find it.  The video example looks like a fun one to simulate!  My guess is that you probably already know what I posted above.
  • Options
    Thanks Trevor!  @trevor_tollefsbol I will look at your example once I have time. I did find that Solidworks could do it with its motion study feature. Sadly that is feature is not available in onshape as yet.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Check out this thread about animating a geneva gear. I think it's the same basic problem you have. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18614/mates-geneva-mechanism
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    @Evan_Reese That's perfect!  Exactly what @max_tran483 is looking for, I think...
  • Options
    Thanks Evan! @Evan_Reese It looks very close to what I am looking for.
  • Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 207 EDU
    Did you make any progress on this? 
    I find it interesting, modeling a mechanical computer in a computer.  Could we 3d print a babbage machine?  :)
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    An Onshape user created a working model of the Curta calculatoir a few years ago - does that count?
  • Options
    No progress. We can indeed 3d print a mechanical computer. :smile: