Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

CAM coming to Onshape.

Comments

• Options
    david_lang457david_lang457 Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Also interested, mostly hobbiest uses.
    Machines:
    laser
    2.5 axis router ( maslowcnc.com )
    limited access to 4 axis HAAS

type of work, mostly 2d and signs

hobbies

prefer onshape, but many hobbiests I work with teach using fusion360 (I run linux, so that's not an option for me)

like Chris, I can't justify a paid license of onshape for my limited use, but the club does pool our money and buys paid licenses for software to run the machines
  • Options
    les_williams885les_williams885 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    • What types of CNC machines do you use? Tormach, Roland
    ShopSabre, Shopbot, and Axiom
    • What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 2.5 Axis
    2D, 2.5, and 3D carves
    • Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7? Prototyping and short run production
    Instructional (Education and Vocational)
    • Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...Just me
    This is an educational suite open as a Maker Space, and instructional classroom.
    • Do you use an existing CAM solution? 
    Aspire, +Machine Specific apps 

I'm a robotics and engineering teacher working a private school... would love to keep using Onshape but its harder to do as we move more and more to the CNC / CAM side of things with our upper level courses. Would love to know more about Onshape's solutions and partnership to make this happen.

Thanks! Les Williams
  • Options
    dusdus Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Great news :-)
    • What types of CNC machines do you use?
    Wood machines. Therefore we would have to export the data in the .btl-file (https://www.design2machine.com/btl/index.html)
  • Options
    jochen_ritterjochen_ritter Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    Hello,

we are right now at choosing how to go on CAM-related. We bought a used 3-axis hurco, and want to use onshape cam of course.

Is there a time scale for a wider BETA oder official version of cloud milling?

Hurco VMX24 with Ultimax 4 (I know, old)
    • What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc.....
    2.5 axis, more to see
    •  Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    Both, prototype stuff but 8 hours per day serial parts will be done too
    • Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    We have a dedicated machinist, but me as the head of engineering (small ;-)) want to be with it too
    No, so it is fascinating for us to be in the loop to decide where to go
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    dus said:
    Great news :-)
    Wood machines. Therefore we would have to export the data in the .btl-file (https://www.design2machine.com/btl/index.html)
    Dus,

The industry standard for CAM output format is gcode.  For now, that this is the focus of CAM Studio.   I would suggest looking at how/if your equipment can support gcode? 
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    @joe_dunne fantastic! I noticed after looking at Auto Layout they utilized a "binary bin packing" algorithm from github to generate their nesting results: https://github.com/jakesgordon/bin-packing/blob/master/js/packer.js

Perhaps a smallish stepping stone in the interim would be to try and utilize the the SVG nest github source to make a "genetic global optimization" algorithm using the following open source project: https://github.com/Jack000/SVGnest

Meran and Arul (@marena_richardson , @lemon1324) what would it take to have you or anyone engage in this sort of project? In all fairness the source code for the  algorithm is literally 20 times larger so I'm not sure how feasible this is.

I just logged in again on my personal forum account and noticed this several months later...

Short answer, the current Auto Layout is already the small stepping stone for nesting in Onshape until a native solution is present.

Binary bin packing is bounded runtime and deterministic, so even though it approximates parts as rectangles, it's much more suited to running in FeatureScript.  A more sophisticated algorithm would want to be tied in as an Onshape cloud app so that it doesn't bog down part studio regeneration. Deepnest in particular is a genetic algorithm, so it really need more compute resources than FeatureScript allows, and wants the UI and compute to be in different threads so you can a) "stop" as soon as the solution looks good enough to you, and b) pick the best variation of the GA population for your needs.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Options
    christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @lemon1324 I'd completely forgotten I wrote this hahaha. Thank you for this gem. What you're saying makes perfect sense. I've heard that the team working on CAM studio has a couple members with nesting in mind and they've looked into the possibility of implementation but for now the priority is getting the milling side down pat.

@joe_dunne can confirm if I'm off here, but I believe alpha testing starts approximately within the next two months? The hands down best nesting I've seen is "Alphacam" vero algorithm and "Nestfab" which I believe uses the same or similar algorithm both in speed and yield. Alphacam takes the edge with dynamic kerf based of individual part machining.

I've compared with SVG/Deepnest, Microvellum, Mastercam, Fusion 360 and Sigmanest. Yet to try Magi-CAM/Cut-Right, Ezynest, Woodwork For inventor. All of them use algorithms they call "true shape nesting" or something worse.

I do hope to see native nesting in the far future of the same calibre as Alphacam. In the mean time plain old Alphacam is looking like the best solution for woodworkers in the industry. It also uses the parasolid kernal which is nice, and based in the UK so metric and English!
  • Options
    joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 25 PRO
    @joe_dunne, do you have any updates on the CAM software?
  • Options
    James_PeverillJames_Peverill Member Posts: 5
    We would like to try out the CAM beta. Lack of decent CAM integration is a major problem that is driving us away from OnShape. 

What types of CNC machines do you use?
    Have a Bridgeport Series II CNC Knee Mill (LinuxCNC converted), a Bridgeport TorqueCut22, and are setting up a late 90's Fadal4020.

What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 
    Majority 2.5 axis but some 3d surfacing. One mill has a 4th axis and incoming mill has 5th axis.

Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    Rapid prototyping and small manufacturing runs.

Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    Primarily a handful of engineers. Limited by the number of CAM seats.

Do you use an existing CAM solution?
    We use Fusion360 as well as HSMworks (with Solidworks).
  • Options
    James_PeverillJames_Peverill Member Posts: 5
    Can we get an update? 

The lack of integrated CAM is a major issue that is driving us to potentially move away from Onshape. This was now announced almost a year ago now and we haven't seen it yet. We still have to export parts into SolidWorks or Fusion as part of our CAM workflow.
  • Options
    christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @James_PeverillThey have made good headway in terms of the background workings and the interface is looking like it's got it's fundamentals close to completion since about a month ago. What you'll find with onshape is that they rarely if ever set release dates for anything. Things get released when they're good and ready.

On that note @joe_dunne and update of any sort would be appreciated.
  • Options
    hosea_pricehosea_price Member Posts: 1 EDU
    edited September 2023
    As the CNC operator for an FRC team who uses OnShape I am super exited for this to come out. Having this built into the same software especially with cloud integration would really help us speed up our production times.

I run our Millport CNC conversion running Mach 3, but we also have a Multicam router we use for large parts running Mach 4 that I have yet to learn.

What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 
    We do 2.5 axis machining, but as I get more farmiliar with the machines and CAM programs I hope to start doing full 3 axis.

Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    From January to April the Millport is running 5-10 hours a week and programing another 4-7. From May to December I usualy end up running it 1-2 hours a week and programing 2-3 hours, but that includes training new people. Our Multicam we use for plywood and polycarb Im guessing runs at most 1.5 hours a week, but im not sure.

Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    There were 2 people who ran the Machines, me and our lead mentor. I tend to run the millport in our shop and the mentor runs the multicam in our practice field, although I am hoping to learn it soon. I am also training another person to run our Millport.

We currently use Mastercam, but I have dabbled in F360 which I was hoping to switch to until I heard about this.

Edit: Formating
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to CAM Studio
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    derek_ward076derek_ward076 Member Posts: 10
    I am so excited to try this out!
  • Options
    jonathan_wituckijonathan_witucki Member Posts: 2
    joe_dunne said:
    We are getting very close to EVP for CAM Studio.  

Once we finish EVP, CAM Studio will be available to all Professional and Enterprise plans.  This will include Educational Enterprise accounts.  If CAM Studio is needed you will need to have the proper type of Onshape account.

Joe

Thank you for this detail. I have been bouncing back and forth between Fusion 360 and OnShape to determine which software best meets my needs, but the fact that I can get basic CAM for 1/5th the price going with Fusion 360 makes it an easy decision.
  • Options
    jonathan_wituckijonathan_witucki Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2023
  • Options
    BTackettBTackett Member Posts: 1 EDU
    joe_dunne said:

Once we finish EVP, CAM Studio will be available to all Professional and Enterprise plans.  This will include Educational Enterprise accounts.  If CAM Studio is needed you will need to have the proper type of Onshape account.

Joe
    How close is close?  We've been waiting for this release for a long time, so at this point I suppose any timeline is better than none.  But it's been a month since you said "we're getting close".  I'm excited to try this out with my students in a high school environment, so any estimate on *when* it will be ready/released would be great!
  • Options
    Joe_thedunneJoe_thedunne Member, Developers Posts: 2 PRO
    I would suggest we have a private convo.  We are within weeks of starting EVP.  However I suspect this is not the milestone you are looking for. 

jdunne@ptc.com
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    joe_dunne said:

Joe
    Does this mean that EVP will be open to standard users?
  • Options
    Joe_thedunneJoe_thedunne Member, Developers Posts: 2 PRO
    CAM Studio will be limited to Professional and Enterprise users.

• Options
    derek_ward076derek_ward076 Member Posts: 10
    CAM Studio will be limited to Professional and Enterprise users.

What about education users?
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO

@derek_ward076, I believe EDU users are part of enterprises, so they will have access to this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO

@derek_ward076, I believe EDU users are part of enterprises, so they will have access to this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I think the edu version only uses enterprise if it’s part of a school and the school gives the students the links. 

If a student signs up for the edu version on their own from home it’s not the enterprise version.
  • Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 207 EDU
    *grumbles quietly about render studio not being in the edu enterprise*
  • Options
    jochen_ritterjochen_ritter Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    There is a new? info page on CAM:

https://www.onshape.com/en/features/cam-studio

Any news in here?
  • Options
    steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Late to the party, but excited for sure.
    I teach Engineering Design, Tech, and Programming at a NJ High School.  Having a more integrated CAM solution would be very cool and make the use of equipment much more streamlined for students!  

We have 4 Stinger CNC Routers.
    We use Vectric cut 2d and cut3d to create the .TAP files for winCNC, which controls the machine.

What kinds of machining do you do?
    We do 2.5 axis typically.  Fixturing parts and setting up cut paths for full 3D.  Manually flipping the work over.

Volume of work
    Low volume.

Who typically uses CAM in your company?
    5 teachers in the district.

Vectric products, creating our .TAP files.
  • Options
    Curt_WelchCurt_Welch Member, csevp Posts: 38
    joe_dunne said:
    While we are on this subject. I have a question for all. 

What are the specific needs you and or your company has for CAM with Onshape?  Specifically

• What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 
    • Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    • Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    Any other details would likely be useful to us.

Thanks

Joe

I know this message is a year old, but I would love to get my hands on this as soon as I can.  Happy to do beta testing for you.

I have two needs for this.  In my day job I'm a team developing industrial inspection robots and I do some CNC machine of parts as needed.  Most of our big jobs are outsourced, so when we need a quick turnaround, I'll do the machining.  Maybe only one job a month level of work.  All of it is 3 Axis aluminum work. We also have a small CNC router for 2.5 axis milling ops.

I'm also the Metal Shop Steward for our local Nova Labs Maker Space, and we have many CNC machines in the makerspace that I would be happy to test Onshape with.

I use 3 Axis Mills mostly.  For work, we use a Tormach 1100M at another maker space.

At Nova Labs, we have a 3-axis Matsuura Tiger MC-510V (1985 machine), a 3 axis Haas VF-0E (1995 machine),  and a small 3 axes CNC-JR machine running a Mach 4 Controller.

We also have a 4'x4' ShopSabre CNC Router running a WinCNC controller.  And a 4'x8' CNC Plasma Table (Chinese) but that is a simple 2D machine but it needs g-code, not DXF files, so we use Fusion for that.

For all these machines, I use Fusion 360 for CAM.  I moved to Onshape for work and didn't want to use Fusion for CAM anymore. The ONShape user interface and workflow experience is so much better on Onshape. However, I must move to Fusion for CAM -- which creates real problems when the design needs to change since it breaks all the CAD when a new CAM model is loaded..  Obnshape is just such a better interface and work experience but for now, I'm stuck moving back to Fusion for CAM.  So please, help me escape Fusion as soon as possible!

I would love to be teaching our maker space members ONshape for CAD and CAM instead of asking them to learn Fusion.

Currently, I have never done any turning CAM.  It's all 2.5 and 3 axis milling.

We have multiple people in our startup who know how to do CAM, but for the 3-axis work, I've been doing all of it lately (what we don't outsource).

For our older machines at the Makerspace like the Matsuura I had to modify the post processor to support the differences in our machine. I'll be happy to check and modify any post processors or machine definitions you have for our machines. But since they are old machines, they won't represent a big need for your customer base.

Although I do machining and mechanical engineering work mostly at the current company, my true background is software development for over 20 years.

So if you have a beta program or a pre-release you would like test and give you feed back on features and bugs or whatever you need tested.

The sooner I can leave Fusion and move everything to ONShape the better!

Curt Welch
    703 855-4152
    curt@appliedimpactrobotics.com
    curt@kcwc.com
    Curt.Welch@nova-labs.org