Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Program suitability

stuart_harrowerstuart_harrower Member Posts: 2
Is this program suitable for use in the civil engineering or the building construction industry?

Best Answers

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @stuart_harrower A good civil engineer that I know, they used Revit. I don't think Onshape is particularly suitable yet for civil engineering type work.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have a home remodel project I am going to start modeling up in Onshape.  In due time, it would be so cool if I could scan and capture the current structure and use that as a backdrop for what I want to change.  I spoke to my contractor about this concept.  He jumped at the chance for me to model some things, especially with the Onshape platform.  He saw it as a good way for him to convey things to his clients without any fuss between the groups.  Onshape should and is targeting the product realm, but there is not a reason why it couldn't be used by folks quite efficiently in due time for these kinds of things.

Answers

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @stuart_harrower A good civil engineer that I know, they used Revit. I don't think Onshape is particularly suitable yet for civil engineering type work.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I have a home remodel project I am going to start modeling up in Onshape.  In due time, it would be so cool if I could scan and capture the current structure and use that as a backdrop for what I want to change.  I spoke to my contractor about this concept.  He jumped at the chance for me to model some things, especially with the Onshape platform.  He saw it as a good way for him to convey things to his clients without any fuss between the groups.  Onshape should and is targeting the product realm, but there is not a reason why it couldn't be used by folks quite efficiently in due time for these kinds of things.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Nicely done @3dcad I understand why you like the global rotate scheme when looking at these models.  Time to do some CFD heating/cooling analysis on those buildings.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have a home remodel project I am going to start modeling up in Onshape.  In due time, it would be so cool if I could scan and capture the current structure and use that as a backdrop for what I want to change. 
    Hi Pete, do you want the scan in 2d or 3d?
    I have been very impressed the sketch picture from the last release and can imagine a 2d scan of your existing building with your 3d bits extruded of this. Not sure what tech is out there for 3d scanning buildings.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @brucebartlett 3D scan would be my preference.  There are low cost ways to acquire the info today.  One large competitor has a way of pulling in many digital pictures and constructing a 3D scene and then export the scene as an OBJ file.  I could dabble more in other realms here.  I see easy support of 3D scan data as wonderful potential down the road.  Pretty neat stuff can be thought of, especially in light of mobile devices and soon to be wearable devices that are able to acquire spatial info fairly quickly and at a pretty low cost.  Some pretty efficient workflows are coming.  Augmented reality could very much fit into this, as well.  You could project back the model onto the physical once the model has been designed.  People could see the modeled overlay-ed on top of the physical before a single thing is made or constructed.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    123D Catch is supposed to capture a pretty wide range of objects (shoebox to house sizes) using just a digicam.  I used it to capture a small stuffed animal and it was pretty impressive for a free product.  The output was good enough for 3D printing, but I wouldn't use it for any kind of mechanical job with moderately high resolution.
  • Options
    wayne_jayeswayne_jayes Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Hi Stuart, I'm not familiar with the term civil engineering but I'm certainly using Onshape in construction modeling and I think it gives better results than many other cads which are designed for architecture..

Pictures to replace two thousand words:

How did you create these pictures. I have tried screen grab and it works but I was wondering if there is a better way??